Graffiti Class 777

crompton 33

3 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Disgusting. I absolutely hate graffiti, I just don’t get it.

I don't always hate it, but I hate it on there.

It may be useful to ask why these people like to spend their money on spray cans to throw away in this fashion?

Unlike tagging, which looks pathetic anywhere, I don't mind colourful graffiti in the right place.

A good example was when Leicester Speedway re-opened 6-7 years ago. They had a large, plain wall separating the pits from the spectator area. Before they opened, they found a few local graffiti 'vandals' & got them to brighten the wall by painting "Leicester Lions" on there. I am not sure if they were paid or even supplied with paint, but it looks a lot better than it would have done before.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

When they berthed some of the new GN suburban units at West Worthing they had to provide 24/7 security after the first unit there got heavily decorated.

I suspect further deliveries might need to be recessed in places with better security...

Here in Western Australia, the multiple units used for the local commuter stock are/were built in Queensland and delivered by rail, with various stopovers en route.

Some of the units arrive in Perth with significant modifications to the livery, but due to something - not sure whether it is a lacquer or a clear vinyl overlay - it seems that the graffiti can be quickly/easily removed by peeling/washing off the protective layer used for transit.

Graffiti has always been around, but it seems that there has been a noticeable increase in the last five years or so here. Mainly freight stock, but have seen the occasional locomotive marked up too.

15 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It may be useful to ask why these people like to spend their money on spray cans to throw away in this fashion?

You may find that not all of them are paying for the paint. I recall reading/hearing somewhere that the paint is often obtained via shoplifting/theft. [Sorry, no citation. This was a while (more than a decade) ago and for some reason stuck in my mind.]

Up date. Went past Crewe last night at 22.08 with the Graffiti not removed.  I watched it on the Crewe cam.  With a GBRF class 66 pulling it to mersey rail. I understand the reason why  it was at Tonbridge yard was when it was go'ing  through France the loco broke down. In turn made it late getting here . Not sure if there was no path or driver to take it on .  I have been told that GBRF have  got to pay to remove the Graffiti as i was done in there yard.