warmington DRS depot, NOW IN ITS NEW HOME WITH A NEW OWNER

big jim

• RMweb Gold

had warmington down off the wardrobe for the last month or so, it should have done a show in heywood at the end of march but due to car trouble and losing my job i had to cancel it unfortunatly but it has givin me a chance to do a few bits to the layout, removing stuff, adding stuff and generally tidying up things, i've written an article for model rail ad once i've finishd tidying up the layout they are sending someone round to photograph the layout for the mag

the biggest change i've done is add OHLE to the in road, platform and siding, all scratchbuilt using brass rod and plastistruct, pretty happy with how its turned out, just need to straighten up one of the stantions and give the wire a coat of silver paint and it's pretty much done

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4336.jpg

DSCF4340.jpg

DSCF4338.jpg

as well as that lot i've moved the portacabins from the car park onto where the bund for fuel storage tanks used to be, need to refit the side walls and wire in the cabins and thats that job done, i've opened one of the doors on the cabins and fitted lockers and benches to the room as well as a couple of figures, downstairs is the office thta has a desk, computer, secetary etc inside, both are lit with maplin led strips

DSCF4334.jpg

took the old broken yellow armco down and replaced it with black and white plastistrip fencing, also removed the old yard lights and fitted some modified Hornby pylons with the led light heads fitted, just a temparary measure until i can replace them with 3 phdesign lamps

DSCF4333.jpg

i've fitted lights to the Bachmann unit that is acting as the gatehouse, all the above need wiring in properly though, need to refit some of the smaller details like wheely bins, figures, point levers etc and i might sort out the shed interior

DSCF4335.jpg

Cracking layout Jim.

The OHLE wires look really good - any plans to extend them into the depot area as well ?

Amazing to see how much you have crammed into such a small layout.

Cheers

Tim

• RMweb Gold

May I ask is the depot building scratch built or kit built?

thats one of the most common questions when i show the layout, simple answer, its a Hornby hst shed with a lick of paint and skylights cut into the roof!

• RMweb Gold

replaced the ohle wire this evening, big thanks to jim s-w for supplying me with some correct gauge wire, also some registration arms which i'm saving for when the ohle is extended into the depot reception line

anyway here's the updated ohle...

28052010439.jpg

28052010440.jpg

28052010441.jpg

28052010443.jpg

28052010444.jpg

28052010442.jpg

28052010445.jpg

basically the wire is anchored at the station end of the layout, there is a hidden screw in the base board that the wire is soldered to, it goes up through the end stanction and then soldered to each mast, then it goes out though the backscene under the bridge and back through to the layout, soldered the wire to the top of the masts and then soldered back onto itself at the end of the layout, just before the stanction, so its basically a loop of tensioned wire!

i've wired the pantograph on the 87 so its slightly lower than the contact wire to avoid any tangles near the points as i've not got enough tension on the cross over

i've not fitted any droppers yet, not sure if i will though, might spoil it!

i've wired the pantograph on the 87 so its slightly lower than the contact wire to avoid any tangles near the points as i've not got enough tension on the cross over

Hi Jim, the spring pressure on the pans can be reduced by flattening a few turns, it only needs to be strong enough to hold the pan up.

• RMweb Gold

the ohle is just for show, i'm deffo gonna extend it into the reception road of the shed, might swap a couple of masts for headspans though.

the layout has gone back on the wardrobe for a while, got too much to do around the house at the moment!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

well its beeen VERY slow progress with warmington until this last week...

i foolishly offered to show it at aylesbury station today for the bubble car's 50th birthday celebration, only had confirmation on monday that they definatly wanted it so i had to go home from aylesbury to crewe to collect the layout and other gubbins, as i lifed it off the wardrobe i suddenly remembered that i'd removed some of the buildings, fuel tanks and smaller scenic items for updating/replacing, panic stations!!

packed up the car and moved the layout down to my flat in aylesbury on tuesday and began to get it up to scratch (that and model rail are coming to photograph it at some point when i let them know when its ready!), spent tuesday evening tidying it up, sorting out the wiring and fixing the buildings back down as well as adding some new bits and bobs and sorting out the grass verges......

had the layout set up today on the platform in aylesbury so i used it as an opportunity to get some pictures in natural light, you can see some of the changes and additions in the photos.

the biggest change is the removal of the fuel storage tanks allowing me to move the portacabins in their place, i also switched the cabins round so the office is now on the ground floor and locker room is upstairs, the office is fully kitted out, desk, computer, secretary etc, the locker room has lockers, benches and a vending machine, both have working led lights.

i have added lights to the new gatehouse (Bachmann product), smaller additions to the shed area include fans on the side of the shed and new skips and bins, the biggest tidy up has been the grass verge with new scatter and plants added to give it a "tended" look, a stark contract to the "crime scene" area

on the station i have added elements from the Bachmann "station modernisation" pack including ticket machines, vending machine and clocks (mounted on off cuts from the Dapol ohle!), i had no use for all 4 pis screens so i came up with a cunning plan, being as warmington is now served by arriva wales and chiltern railways i thought i might need some DOO mirrors but i didn;t have the room so i have fitted DOO cameras to the outbound platform end, basically 2 screens stuck together and encased in an anti vandalism box, simple but effective in my opinion!

the biggest change was ditching the scratchbuilt ohle for Dapol ready to plant itmes, i've added the masts into the station area and sidings as before (incuding mounting them on the viaduct side) but now i've gone into the reception road and back down one of the depot roads so electric locos can actually come right onto shed.

the dilemma i'm left with is do i add wire, they look a bit "lost" without it however i cannot get the tension as i did with my scratchbuilt stuff due to the flexability of the masts, however if i can get realistic looking wire fitted like i had before it will seriously restrict hand access to the layout when "playing", oh what to do!!

new items of rolling stock include the chiltern bubble car (i rode on the real thing for the first time today), this is sound chipped but will need a few mods to the sounds to make it authentic including door open buzzers and a different sounding guard/driver buzzer. also the chiltern livery 165 made its debut today, lots of the public liked it "look thats the train we go to london on!", bryan did a cracking job of the sound chip for me at late notice (thursday night!), its essentially a 158 with different door sounds, different horns, custom buzzer sounds (1-2 and 2 for those in the know), hopefully it can be developed futher as time allows with custom announcments etc

so here are some natural light piccies, come out quite well i recon!

04092010894.jpg

04092010895.jpg

04092010892.jpg

04092010893.jpg

04092010896.jpg

04092010897.jpg

04092010898.jpg

04092010901.jpg

04092010900.jpg

04092010899.jpg

04092010902.jpg

04092010903.jpg

04092010904.jpg

04092010905.jpg

04092010906.jpg

04092010907.jpg

One word...........Excellent ! Small but brilliant, the Rail Head Treatment Train is a kit I assume, is it quite differcult, easy to make up? I fancy getting one for my DRS37's to pull around but Ive never contructed kit before and Im a little worried about rolling the tanks. Also does the FEA type wagon come as part of the package or is it a self supply job, and (sorry) if you wanted to self supply the FEA could you and just fit the RHTT equipment on top?

Excellent work and I hope all is sort on the job front ?

Bluebird.

• RMweb Gold

bluebird: the rhtt is an s kits brass kit. Dead easy to build. My first brass kit and im pleased with the results. The tanks are actually resin kits you only need to add the ends and bases, they could be better finished than i have done, the tanks should sit lower in the frames but i was too lazy to spend time doing it!

Archived