Ryecroft Arena

sf315

A bit more added. The far wall and the side which the cream bits are an Outland Models building turned sideways. This all now forms the main bulk of the station/arena shopping complex. There’s still plenty to be going on with but that’ll do for now. I want to get roughly the rest of the low relief backscene buildings done 

7C8C689D-7CD7-447B-9373-C1CF9D3C5909.jpeg

• Like 3

The second low relief building shell is on its way and again it’s based on an Outland Models Kit. On this one there are two kits of the same with one cut down. I’ve used the front and back on this one with the brickwork Slater’s embossed plasticard. 

6A88AFE5-04DB-46DE-91FD-D5D942E32016.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s the next low relief building again it’s only the basics at the moment but the grey Outland Models building has been opened out and it’s front and two sides  have been used but the whole building has been turned upside down with a new bottom section of balsa with Evergreen sidewalk sheet used as cladding. Other bits used as yet is the usual Slater’s plastistrip here and there. In my eyes this will stand next to the shopping centre on the left of the layout. 

I

Once again thanks for looking 

Steve. 

EEF22C74-0966-45CB-98C0-BA19DEB0BD77.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, cobbler said:

Great looking buildings Steve, keep up the good work

Thanks Cobbler 

Really enjoying doing the buildings and seeing what I can do with them. I reckon there’s two more to do along the back and a couple of smaller ones on the backscene either side of the road bridge. 

Wonder if anyone else has used any of the models in the same way as I have. 

I have also obtained my switches for the signals so I can return to wiring and installing the signals and a central take off point for the lighting for the platform and station lights. 

Thanks

Steve 

The last two buildings have been built as basic shells and to be finished at a later date 

also a view of the backscene row that I wanted to portray. Tall building developments with the railway hemmed in.

41820C57-1179-4F23-A7C9-874D43A24F70.jpeg

1C1D206E-A01A-454D-9649-A5F0188146F8.jpeg

8E57A127-A93F-4734-9A8D-3511A81910AE.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Steve 

The new buildings look great, and are part of an impressive set of modern buildings. 

Have you got any ideas for how to model that mechanical ventilation and cooling plant that would be on the roof of these buildings?

On the final grey building, perhaps the top floor that you have clad in brick would be the plant space - so areas of  louvres would be suitable. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Hi Steve 

The new buildings look great, and are part of an impressive set of modern buildings. 

Have you got any ideas for how to model that mechanical ventilation and cooling plant that would be on the roof of these buildings?

On the final grey building, perhaps the top floor that you have clad in brick would be the plant space - so areas of  louvres would be suitable. 

Hello Nick

thanks for the comments 

as regards them they are only the basic shells to see how it all fits and looks. Theres a lot of detail to put on including roof details as air con units ventilation etc. so it will be looked at in the future. 

Thanks Steve. 

They look great .

there’s a real shortage of modern large buildings from the trade , so it’s nice to see somebody making their own ,

and most cities look like this the more overpopulated we become !

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, stevea said:

Hi, Steve

I was wondering if you had any developments to reports on Ryecroft. Although it seems a very different project to your usual era, it's looking very promising indeed

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve At the moment ive stopped on it as it gives me something to come back to at a later date or i will only be working on rolling stock in N or O. So it’ll give me some diversification at some point. 

I got the colour lights working and the layout works as it should but at the moment I am on with my O Gauge busy building wagons. 

You say it’s not my usual era but most of the stock comes from my Shaweport days which was early 2000. 

Its just that I’ve drifted back to 1970s and 80s as it gives me more scope freight wise. But with this layout I just want to give my second generation units a run of which there is a fair collection. 

Thanks for the interest. 

Steve. 

27 minutes ago, stevea said:

Hi, Steve

Thank you for your reply. It's certainly looking impressive, but not much room for your usual banger or stock car en route to Birmingham Wheels or Hednesford! 

Regards

Steve

No have to admit it might be a struggle to get one on here. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised an update of where I am up to. 

The first parts of the station building/ arena/ shopping complex are glued into position the cream parts on the backscene building are an Outland Models building on its side. 

The covered parts of the platform awning have had LED lights put under them for wiring up at a later time. 

There is a lot still to do on this end but pleased with progress so far. 

F64B5B1D-FBDC-42AF-9068-138EC90A3DC9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have been working on the main building and its coming together now and most of it is glued in position.

A modified Walthers platform canopy has been added to the island platform to give more protection for the passengers. Don't know if one can be added to the near platform as i think it'll block my line of sight when operating. The Ryecroft Arena name on the side of the building are wooden letters off Amazon and were sprayed black and glued on. just need to finish the beer terrace front off on the top and finish the capping on the walls.

DSC00075.JPG

Edited by sf315
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More work has been carried out and the buildings are starting to be glazed. 

More done the bridge and the backscene at the fiddle yard end of the layout. I’ve bought some Evemodel streetlights for the road on the bridge off Amazon as with lighting the platform that end is in darkness. 

The pic shows a view from the platform end. 

DB4931E6-9359-4203-BB23-28E78DC492EC.jpeg

• Like 5

Busy glazing the backscene buildings. With being modern type buildings there’s plenty of glass so I’ve cut up clear packaging from a O Gauge Heljan wagon box and used that. 

Talk about recycling. 

Once glazed they can all be stuck down and further details can be added. 

The pic below I took last night of the layout in Manchester mode. It reminds me of days out in Manchester shopping and returning home on the rush hour services. 

59EEED0D-A1E8-47F6-9A9C-EA6EEBAC916F.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Simon Moore said:

I'm liking this a lot!

I have always fancied doing a small dmu layout like this. I have thought many a time doing minories with modern or first gen dmu's. I might have a bash at some point on something albeit in 00

Thanks 

It’s great fun as modern architecture gets more flamboyant you can just let your imagination go if your going to do a city based minories type station  

With it just being DMU operation I’ve made sure the platforms can each hold a 4 car unit or obviously 2 two car units which can be isolated ( as the layout is not DCC). This gives many possibilities on operation. 

• Like 1