Bachmann Dukedog fitted with Lenz Silver21+

Lissadell

I have just fitted a Lenz Silver+ to a newly acquired Dukedog.

The loco runs well enough but I think some CV fine tuning might lift the performance - I’m looking for a bit quieter, smoother running.

The booklet supplied with the chip directs me to the Lenz website for more detailed guidance.  Unfortunately, I haven’t found it very helpful eg mostly in German and where English is offered the details don’t really go far enough.
My experience with the 76 page online Zimo manual (in English) has been very different.

I would like to try adjusting some settings and wondered if a forum member might have this combination of loco and decoder working well.

If so, I would welcome any suggestions for basic settings

Thank you

Adrian

DCC does nothing to cure intrinsic mechanism noise or remedy any significant mechanical defect in operation.

If you haven't done so already then  I would suggest first have the decoder out and assess on DC, 9V PP9 type battery if you don't have a DC controller. If it is mechanically noisy on DC, it will be noisy on DCC, and if it doesn't run smoothly then that needs fixing to.

If the model has had little running, then it may well quiet after some time at moderate speed, with occasional changes of direction. This can be performed on DC or DCC and anything up to 4 hours may be required to make a mechanism as quiet as possible, in my experience of current mechanisms.

If you can describe the noise, (grating, whirring, squeaking, whining: and whether the same forward and reverse) and the characteristics of the lack of smoothness (low speed stuttering, surging, distinct binds once or more per revolution: and whether the same forward and reverse).

I have found that my new Bachmann locos seem to need a lot more running in than other makes. My 0-6-0 Pannier tank exhibited the same behaviour as your loco to the point that I sent it back to Bachmann for attention. It came back just the same but now runs super smooth after about 3 months of running!