3D printing a brass-forming jig / roof substructure?

Hey folks,

I have a basic 3D printer, and a desire to spend my money buying coaches and DMUs from Worsley Works, and not on buying donor vehicles for inflated prices on ebay...

I have in mind to 3D print a jig matching the vehicle's roof profile, and use it to accurately and consistently shape a piece of brass sheet into the correct profile to form the roof. The roof could then be reinforced and further held in place with a 3D-printed ribs and spine glued underneath. Since no 3D printed part is visible on the finished model, the surface quality of the print should be less critical.

Has anyone experimented with this approach before? The only thing I could find about 3D printed jigs was an American modeller printing a jig for hand-built turnouts.

I've had great success with printing formers to press 0.7mm mild steel for car body panels. Two halves of the tooling were printed in PLA at 25% infill then either used in a vice or press to compress the sheet steel. The parts are about 300mm long where the pressed shape exists.

IMG-20200615-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20200615-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1