Third class numbers on BR carriage doors.

Torper

• RMweb Premium

I am aware that BR abolished third class in 1956, replacing it with second class.  But were any coaches then still running with the number "3" painted on their third class doors?  I'm modelling some CR and LMS coaches in crimson/cream livery circa 1954 and wonder if I can (or should) legitimately put a number "3" on the doors of some of them. just as there's a number "1" on the first class doors.  I suspect that BR may never have used them on crimson/cream repaints, but have no evidence one way or the other.  Any information would be gratefully received.

DT

Edited by Torper

• Torper changed the title to Third class numbers on BR carriage doors.
  • RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

No, unless you have an LMS coach which has managed to get to 1954 without a repaint, you'll not see any 3s on doors ........................... there would have been a few 2s on stock running to the continental ferry ports - but not to the Irish Sea ones.

The reason for that is of course, the Southern Region ran 3 class trains, to match the continental 3 class system of the time.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Indeed - BR even built a batch of Mk1 Open Seconds when everything we think of as Open Seconds were Open Thirds ! .............. not sure whether there were three classes on Harwich 'Continental' trains ?

There were 3 classes on the Harwich trains pre-war, the 1938 'Hook Continental' set was first and second only with third catered for by a separate train. I believe that post war the seconds became thirds until they became seconds again in 1956.

• Thanks 1