Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

On 18/12/2020 at 10:42, 9C85 said:

When I first saw this I thought Waverley West had missed the point of this thread and had put up a photo of a real train at a real location.  This is superb and really evocative. 

I had to look really closely to find anything that would confirm it is in fact a model. 

Excellent work. 

Images like this really do set this thread apart - But we have to be subtle how to put it to avoid potential upset :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/12/2020 at 07:48, Ben B said:

I'm sure what sells this for me -beyond the excellent attention to detail and high standard of model making- is the backscene. It looks like it goes on for miles!

Yes - a great example of a backscene doing the work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Layering and editing images

Some of the images here suggest that the modellers are 'handy with a camera' and have done some post-production fiddling to get the best realism from the image.

A technique I've tried to achieve is 'layering' the image. This involves taking at least a couple of photos with different points of focus and then blending them into one image.

I don't claim any expertise in this area but it works to blend an in-focus foreground with an in-focus background so you don't get the tell-tale 'toy train' depth of field issue.

My amateur jab-at-buttons-until-it works photography and a bit of fiddling about in Photoshop has left me with this picture. It has a few weird bits of blurring in the middle plane of the image which suggests maybe a third point of focus would be handy.

Some tips from contributors would be appreciated.

gasworks-barclay-05-colour.jpg

Hi,

Andy Y has done a very useful tutorial on Focus Stacking and post-processing here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84168-whats-involved-with-processing-an-image-for-the-magazine/

I have also played with it a bit. Generally you want a goodly number of shots with different focus points, say 30 or more images, and then use focus-stacking software to blend the resulting images - either using the built-in tool in Photoshop or if you don't have that, there are a number of other software packages available, for example CombineZP https://combinezp.software.informer.com/

or Helicon Focus https://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-focus/

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Andy Y has done a very useful tutorial on Focus Stacking and post-processing here:

I have also played with it a bit. Generally you want a goodly number of shots with different focus points, say 30 or more images, and then use focus-stacking software to blend the resulting images - either using the built-in tool in Photoshop or if you don't have that, there are a number of other software packages available, for example CombineZP .

Alister that was a first rate response and thanks for putting me onto the Andy Y post. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 4