Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, KNP said:

Hearing a loud noise outside I cleaned the steamed up carriage window so I could peer out to see what was going on only to catch sight of a passing autotrain heading the other way....

3317.jpg.6f9fd20a0e6c2b4dc2a489c9986794a4.jpg

Dont think the fireman has closed the smokebox door properly...

• Like 1

Ah, well if we're going for something completely different...

BEN_BUCKI_Jabberwock_SecondShoot_04.jpg.88931e4a0042c9720001307b3980db84.jpg

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!"

Lewis Carroll, "The Jabberwock" (from "Alice's adventures through the looking glass") 1872

Steampunk Jabberwock anyone?  I know it's in the 'realistic modelling' thread, but it is heavily based on a prototype (a rail-mounted self-propelled crane on display in a museum in Scotland), and I've tried to make it as realistic as I could within the bounds of the original poem.  There's a bit of a long backstory to the model, which evolved from a 2/3rd scale sculpture I built for an 'Alice in Wonderland'-themed art show in the Lakes; the person running the show wanted me to do something Steampunk, and reading that extract from the poem, it made me think of how someone or something that had never seen a steam-powered machine before might interpret one to look like a monster.  Yes, it's a steam-powered crane, it just happens to look a bit monster-like from certain angles...

It's 7/8ths (ish) scale, on G track, and the first of a planned series of 'Alice' themed models for my embryonic garden railway...  Phil, of this parish, featured it in an issue of Garden Rail in 2018 (I think, may have been 2019, but time seems to have no meaning anymore), but if anyone is interested, I'm happy to put something more detailed somewhere here on RMweb. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

20201230_195219.jpg.b479ab061b161f3b96e8fd8597259bcd.jpg

In addition to the layout, I have a drum kit in my garage. I had just finished having a little drum therapy this evening and turned around to get up. This was the scene immediately behind me. I thought... 'I like this layout '

• Like 14

On 26/12/2020 at 18:27, Dorkingian said:

A rogue steampunk crane on a garden railway?  Irresistible.  Yes, some more details (and pictures) please.  And the ace of spades?

Thanks for the interest in it- I've started a topic for it over in the garden railway section;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160997-the-jabberwock-large-scale-steampunk-in-the-garden/