Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2021 at 09:07, jcm@gwr said:

Totally agree with this statement, I'm starting to get bored with scrolling through the 

obvious Work-in-Progress pictures, and the ones with the tension lock couplings on

show, just to find the inspiring pictures, that are difficult to tell from the real thing!

I agree. Plonking some track, a very basic model locomotive and a few other bits and pieces inside a cardboard box is not realistic and could only just, if you were a charitable sort, be called modelling. It’s a bit like taking a photo of a bag of flour, some sugar and eggs and posting it on a website thread for impressive cake baking. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

This is a somewhat narrow minded view.  This has cropped up before. To the poster, their image fulfills the criteria. You may as well quote the image and comment 'Not good enough. Please remove ' 

Well it is to them. As you say, scroll past those images that in your opinion shouldn't be here. 

This thread contains a wide range of images demonstrating all levels of ability. If the image posted is, to the best of the members ability and in their eyes as realistic as they can do, then it deserves to be here. 

As the vast majority of my photos include stock fitted with tension locks then I guess that rules me out as well. 

My apologies. 

Please note- Image contains a tension lock. 

Rob. 

20201018_121913-01.jpeg

Firstly, please read my follow up post, where I try to explain more clearly, and encourage.

Secondly, I've never had an issue with those that have tried to make their model look realistic,

it's when it is really has had no thought put in to the picture composition,

often because it's obviously not finished.

Thirdly, all of your photos are excellent, because you rarely, if ever, see the coupling, because

you've made the effort to choose the angle, which is as important as the model's realism.

Your final line- I can't see it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Firstly, please read my follow up post, where I try to explain more clearly, and encourage.

Secondly, I've never had an issue with those that have tried to make their model look realistic,

it's when it is really has had no thought put in to the picture composition,

often because it's obviously not finished.

Thirdly, all of your photos are excellent, because you rarely, if ever, see the coupling, because

you've made the effort to choose the angle, which is as important as the model's realism.

Your final line- I can't see it!

My apologies. I was putting my own response together and missed your follow up. Thank you for your kind words. 

That said, let's just give people a chance. The last thing anybody wants is for any upset to be caused or any confidence knocked. 

Oh and there is one......

Rob

20201018_121913-01-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 19

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

My apologies. I was putting my own response together and missed your follow up. Thank you for your kind words. 

That said, let's just give people a chance. The last thing anybody wants is for any upset to be caused or any confidence knocked. 

Oh and there is one......

Rob

20201018_121913-01-01.jpeg

No problem, I never meant to dissuade anyone, just point them in the right direction,

hopefully to start their own thread. 

I suppose I was trying to remind people of the thread title, which states realistic modelling,

not W-in-P workbench or layout threads, it was, possibly a, poorly worded, complaint more

about being off-topic, than 'that's rubbish, please remove'.

Finally, although that T/L was sort of visible, it could easily be mistaken for another different 

coloured stone in the wall behind, confirming my point about composition.

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gedward said:

Sorry, I'll take my ball and go home. :mellow:

Please don't, or if you feel you still want to, could you direct us to a thread with images of your layout, please?

That last photo, especially with the backscene, seemed very 'Belah' to me, lovely.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Please don't, or if you feel you still want to, please direct us to a thread with images of your layout, please.

That last photo, especially with the backscene, seemed very 'Belah' to me, lovely.

Thanks Captain, my layout is called Bovey Tor.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Chris Chewter said:

Talking of tension lock couplings. Here's one that I forgot to pull out of the NEM socket!

2144206805_BrakeVan.jpg.eb6c4756f8b50ec23aa12491bda5a18b.jpg

Top image, Chris. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully my pics of Exhill all taken are acceptable - to put these in their context these where all taken back when I had a layout in 1982/3, long since gone, these where taken with a Pentax MTL3 and close up lens ring, multiple flash and diffusers all pre digital so no editing on a PC apart from tweaking now on my phone... in those days the USA  was leading the way with excellant photos in Model Railroader, Kadee couplings which I had to get direct from the states...

My point is to show what was Realistic Modeling then...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

A couple from Lapford.

Sorry but two of them are in black and white because I couldn’t always afford colour film back then...

C62ADF80-FD0D-4087-9EA4-BE7502D74A6B.jpeg.1e452e3df564d03dbd0965d4ec8fe02f.jpeg

BC83C912-096B-415D-8149-96FCCC8F8DB1.jpeg.d76e4eadb754d56e636c4d6f88688efe.jpeg

9ED20CE2-0092-4939-AF6D-A1554364D987.jpeg.cb9995a3193d02dc9ef7b1d8b79d9a54.jpeg

That middle one looks like it's about to pour with rain soon, typically Mid Devon, very good

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1