Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Hmm are you sure that's a toad... looks like an ER 4 wheel short guards van

Toad was also the telegraphic code for brake vans on LNER although generally they were called Toad (insert letter here) eg Toad D.  Am sure some LNER experts will be able to say more.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Toad was also the telegraphic code for brake vans on LNER although generally they were called Toad (insert letter here) eg Toad D.  Am sure some LNER experts will be able to say more.

Well I never I've always assumed Toad was a GWR name, every day is a school day - thank you

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2021 at 12:43, NHY 581 said:

A Toad. 

20211204_221257-02.jpeg.dfef884ed4b5686aee0e2da1c380a09f.jpeg

Rob

22 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

That one is a 'Toad E', diagram 64, that particular one is from the last batch built at Shildon in 1935. They were developed from the NER Diagram V4 10T van. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, bathgreenpark said:

THE SOMERSET & DORSET RAILWAY IN 7MM

Some new pictures this week

Screenshot (1085).png

Screenshot (1086).png

Screenshot (1076).png

20211020_090630_resized.jpg

Screenshot (1046).png

Screenshot (1047).png

If you'll forgive me, I think these would look far better without the fake smoke, it does rather look as though the locos are blowing bubbles...

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

If you'll forgive me, I think these would look far better without the fake smoke, it does rather look as though the locos are blowing bubbles...

Al.

I agree with Al, although the chimney smoke effect works well.

A short running session featuring my Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway Bachmann Collectors Club Limited Edition 4F Class 0-6-0 edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see S&DJR 4F 0-6-0, No.58 hauling a local passenger train, consisting of mixture of 4 & 6 wheel coaches in matching S&DJR Prussian blue livery.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Right Away said:

On The Juice

6B7EB9F8-5235-4C96-9629-DDC4372D5643.jpeg.0e89ca3620235e2b4cfb8d90b78c4ef1.jpeg

After changing ends, the motorman of an afternoon working “pumps up” prior to departure - let’s hope there’s a lamp on the back!

It doesn't need one, it's a Southern Region mulitple unit and therefore has a red blind that is displayed in the headcode window, backlit at night. 

I was the guard on a mystery excursion from Hastings to Barry Island consisting of 2 6-car Hastings demu sets, relieving the train at Swindon, this would have been 1974 or so.  We had a cracking run down from Swindon, via Box for some reason. with the demus managing the 47-and 9 airco mk2 schedule.  The signalman at Barry would not let us proceed across to the island because the train had no tail lamp, which it didn't need; he'd have known this if he'd ever read his General Appendix.  He was a character I'd had trouble with before.  I placed my Bardic on a rear bracket to mollify him.

That apart, it was a grand day out.  The train made a very satisfying amount of noise at speed, and the ride at 90+ was, um, interesting, as was the vibration.  We had a Redhill driver who worked throughout, piloted by my mate, and a few hours to kill on the island.  Redhill was most anxious to find a bookies, as he wanted to get his bets on, and there was one just to the right of the station entrance at Barry Island.  We considered it our duty to show him around the sights, have fish and chips, and a couple of beers (that sort of thing could be done in those days so long as you didn't abuse the privilege), and were relieved by Reading men at Cardiff on the way back.  Sometimes, it was a shame to take the money, and this was rest day overtime, but I never went as far as giving any of it back...

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It doesn't need one, it's a Southern Region mulitple unit and therefore has a red blind that is displayed in the headcode window, backlit at night. 

These particular ex-SR HAL//BIL units retained stencil route indication until withdrawal, therefore always necessitating an oil tail lamp.

Roller blinds (with red tail indication) were introduced on the Southern Region firstly on EP stock. Regarding ex-SR EMUs, only some of the all-steel “Mary” 4SUB units, 4COR/BUF “Nelsons” and the 5BEL “Brighton Belle” units were so modified to roller blinds.

• Informative/Useful 3