Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

eIwqIPPl.jpg

7TYJkM7l.jpg

As a child I remember one of these delivering sacks of logs in winter it was a Canadian Ford. It belonged to Fair ground operator who wintered at a nearby farm. I rather like its chunky purposeful look.

Photos Peter M

Peter M

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

A misty morning in Dorset sees Peckett 0-6-0ST "Jurassic" preparing to move off shed 1445102683__DSC36943.JPG.df5071b8ebbeabe65944e12f32fdddf5.JPG

A lovely scene and great detail inside the shed, definitely drew my eye in, well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Carnforth said:

WOW!!

The weathering/paint work is great but were are the dents, bashes and damaged corners that go along with general use of the wagons ?  Now there is a real challenge waiting to be produced with RTR wagons !

Edited by johnd

Just now, johnd said:

The weathering/paint work is great but were are the dents and bashes that go along with general use of the wagons ?  Now there is a real challenge waiting to be produced with RTR wagons !

True. I am awaiting RTR wagons with dents.  I have tried melting wagons to get dents without too much success.

I have seen the melting technique work on O gauge wagons. I guess it helps that there is more material to play with.

I couldn't get it to work on OO. I could not get the heat concentrated in specific place.

However if I perhaps took a soldering iron to the inside of a 16t perhaps I could get it work.

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, johnd said:

The weathering/paint work is great but were are the dents, bashes and damaged corners that go along with general use of the wagons ?  Now there is a real challenge waiting to be produced with RTR wagons !

It's like certain other features of a weathered, decrepit railway, such as ripples and dents along the side of a diesel or rickety track in a colliery yard, if you modelled that in 4mm, even if you were very, very careful, odds are that it wouldn't look right (just my view). It's a bit like mortar lines in 4mm brickwork. The eye expects to see an indentation, whereas if correctly scaled down, there'd be virtually no indentation, leading to the conclusion that brickpaper is just as effective.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

68pJX3ql.jpg

EVOekSBl.jpg

A couple of shots of the wooden bodied Simplex built in the farm workshops to provide a bit of shelter in the winter. This is not fiction but is based on an actual device that was used on the Fleet Light Railway on the fens in the 1950’s.

Photos Peter M

Peter M

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

6 minutes ago, Broadoak said:

68pJX3ql.jpg

EVOekSBl.jpg

A couple of shots of the wooden bodied Simplex built in the farm workshops to provide a bit of shelter in the winter. This is not fiction but is based on an actual device that was used on the Fleet Light Railway on the fens in the 1950’s.

Photos Peter M

Peter M

I will never tire of looking at all these photos, so much detail to take in and admire.

Thank you Peter for sharing.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Vd66mAHl.jpg

8dcgx8ul.jpg

The small van like many of the devices on the layout is an ex military vehicle called Tilly, and is used for track maintenance as she is a bit too light for anything else. She can also be used to rush fuel or spares out to the fields if needed urgently.

Photos Peter M

Peter M

• Like 15