Oh Hornby - what are you doing mates? (short rant:(

AchimK

33 minutes ago, stevegr said:

I personally am taking my Rovex Princess back to the model shop, it's never worked right.

Or I would do if the shop hadn't closed in 1978.......:)

Ask whether they will swap it for the new one.

Even comes in a Rovex box.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/all-sets/analogue-train-sets/celebrating-100-years-of-Hornby-train-set-centenary-year-limited-edition-2020.html

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.  All right I'll explain.  An upturned flower pot has, on the bottom which is now the top, a raised rim and a recess, with a hole in it for drainage if it an outdoor flower pot.  A GWR brass safety valve cover is from some angles as similar shape to an upturned flower pot, being cleverly designed by Sir Daniel Gooch to divert the noise of escaping steam from the safety valves skywards so that they give less annoyance to anyone in the vicinity that might want to be holding a conversation, but it is not an upturned flower pot.  Firstly, few flower pots are made of brass and that size, and secondly, the bottom which is what would now be the top if GWR brass safety valve covers if they were upturned flower pots, which they are not is not, of a GWR brass safety valve cover contains the valves and plumbing for the safety valves, which are represented by relief in that position on Bachmann and (in the case of my 2721) Westward kit white metal examples.  

The original thing that masquerades as a GWR brass safety valve cover on the Triang Hornby/Hornby 2721 is a much poorer representation, and looks much more like an upturned flower pot...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PMP said:

Besides if Hornby did make their 94XX then it would have been here about five years ago.  :D

That is a very good point, but I promised Andy Y I wouldn't get involved in any such discussion about a year ago.  Hornby do seem in general much quicker off the mark than most other suppliers, though I suspect this is really because they do not announce models until quite late in the production process.  Last year's Collett 57' non-gangwayed coaches, completely new toolings, were announced in January and I had mine on the layout in mid March.  I believe the large prairie, the obvious partner to them, was intended to follow quite shortly afterwards, and is now with us, but was put back a bit by the company in favour of a new tooling Terrier to go head to head in competition with Rails of Sheffield's commissioned one.  But we have been much better informed of what's going on and how new products in development are faring by Hornby than by Bachmann, who are to be fair addressing the situation with the quarterly announcements.

Dapol announced their large prairie along with a 43xx with an identical mech before Hornby, and are still months away from producing it.  It may well be that Hornby had their project up their sleeve, but they reacted very quickly to Dapol's move.

• Like 1

The later Hornby 2721 locos have a better safety valve cover.

They also have more separate handrails. Only the cab Handrail remains moulded on.

The older version has been painted and modified. The older solid top safety valve cover, inherited from the Tri-ang Hornby 8750 loco has been drilled oIt a bit and the recess painted black.

The then new Railroad version hasn’t been worked on...

CBF84270-A5DC-4747-BBDB-A78D94A2AAEA.jpeg.b5376284cd32d78e234e21deca1ab2ef.jpeg

Modified original model...

3789D462-A895-4421-B117-367ABF2B6173.jpeg.7482225d59e410830e2f6d68556effc0.jpeg

Railroad version...

88120E01-7381-4A99-8EAA-1C028040F022.jpeg.c5f8e420665218e5567cc3ea35c0b763.jpeg

More recently, more modifications have been made to the Railroad, and a more recent Main Range, pre Railroad, model...

Edited by Sarahagain
More added
  • Like 4

On 30/07/2020 at 21:53, Phil Parker said:

But can you imagine the fuss if Hornby tried something like this with the argument that it can be dismantled with a penknife? There are many threads on here where nothing less than perfection is now demanded. Not me admittedly, I've got at least 2 dock shunters and always fancied doing one for Code 75 track.

Very easy with an Ultrascale conversion kit. Why they make one for this is beyond me but I'm glad they do!

WP_20200611_16_50_48_Pro.jpg.115c2416f436ccd7d2dff0a13e7c0b18.jpgWP_20200612_14_28_30_Pro.jpg.181999b5cde6a0d94fbb776f6a881331.jpg

This thread has drifted a bit hasn't it ?

• Like 6

On 31/07/2020 at 11:06, Phil Parker said:

My favourite came from the model boat world. One kit manufacturer had a model brought in because the builder said he'd followed the instructions and it didn't work. The ship arrived on the desk with a thump and on inspection, the hull was full of Blue Circle's finest product. It seems the instructions about cementing parts in place hadn't entirely been understood...

To be fair truth is often stranger than fiction. In the 1970s/80s and 90s a very popular British made kit of an R/C yacht had a plastic moulded hull with integral keel. The manufacturer had the modeller add builders cement into the keel cavity and then add water to create the keel ballast. This was the Duplex (then Lesro) 575.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2020 at 22:52, The Johnster said:

That is a very good point,

08737D83-B331-4AC5-A23A-B5288D1AC718.jpeg.ab33961f305f0c00f09929657d98cf26.jpeg
I’ve no idea what sort of buffoonery you’ve managed to do there, but that quote has nothing to do with me.

I don’t care about manufacturing lead times, if a product gets delayed, so what? The only time it becomes a problem is when a manufacturer continually over promises with unrealistic lead times, and fails to deliver anything, like DJM did. 

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PMP said:

I’ve no idea what sort of buffoonery you’ve managed to do there, but that quote has nothing to do with me.

I don’t care about manufacturing lead times, if a product gets delayed, so what? The only time it becomes a problem is when a manufacturer continually over promises with unrealistic lead times, and fails to deliver anything, like DJM did. 

I don't know about buffoonery, but it's certainly not accredited to you. A quick review of earlier posts would clear that up. I  would respectfully suggest that people proof read prior to hitting the 'submit' button. 

Being that it's about time we had a 'very good' RTR 2721, some more discussion & polite observation would be a good thing.

But, please, please, proof read first..... Teddy likes sitting within the pram....

Happy modelling,

Ian. 

• RMweb Gold

To pour oil on troubled waters maybe an unintentional mistake perhaps more to do with clumsy navigation of the website.I made a similar wrong attribution yesterday whilst on another topic. Quickly removed my errant post when the recipient asked me what it was all about.My reply was “fat finger “. But yes it pays to check thoroughly the end result of your post.It might not be quite what you intended.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2020 at 19:35, PMP said:

Typical I suspect.

Like you I’ve had many many types though the workshop from all the manufacturers. Hornby types I’ve never had one that needed to be returned, and never had one with parts missing or broken in the box.

Bachmann, I’ve had one locomotive that was so badly quartered it was returned.

Heljan, 2x 1st batch class 17 with motor failure.

Rapido /Athearn no problems.

Most of my stock comes over the counter from shops, not via post or previously owned.

I have just (this morning) returned my first Hornby loco ever, and I have been buying Hornby for longer than I care to remember. This one, a Terrier with missing cab steps. Pity as it was bought as a present and now will miss the event, but hey-ho, things happen.

Bachmann - two returns a 009 Baldwin that dropped part of the valve gear running in and a Class 37 with broken glazing.

Vitrains - 4 Class 47 models (two pairs) where the manufacturer packaging was not up to posting and they kept arriving smashed on the bufferbeams.

Dapol, SLW, Heljan - none.

Anybody can have a failure, the main thing is not to blow it out of all proportion.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I don't know about buffoonery, but it's certainly not accredited to you. A quick review of earlier posts would clear that up. I  would respectfully suggest that people proof read prior to hitting the 'submit' button. 

Being that it's about time we had a 'very good' RTR 2721, some more discussion & polite observation would be a good thing.

But, please, please, proof read first..... Teddy likes sitting within the pram....

Happy modelling,

Ian. 

And may I ask that people don't selectively quote as as to change the context of a post completely. I just had somebody chop off one of my sentences in the middle, then have a moan about what I said. The second half of the sentence and the rest of the post went on to say why the text they quoted text was only part of a story.

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Ok, I’m still not bitter however, my items have been returned today. The elite has been replaced with a new one it says tested- ok. The two fried decoders have been replaced. It says rocket wiring repaired, tested ok, but the loco is still dead. I took it out of the packet placed it on the rails on dc- nothing. I put in the decoder, nothing. I made sure the controller was working - it was. I tried rocket again, still dead. I phoned Hornby, lines are closed. Open Monday to Wednesday 9 - 1. I want to growl and rant but I am reminded of my previous post. 

it is what it is
:(

Worth checking that none of the four wires underneath have either broken or just become detached, but still holding on by the coating.

1 hour ago, scumcat said:

I took it out of the packet placed it on the rails on dc- nothing. I put in the decoder, nothing. I made sure the controller was working - it was. I tried rocket again, still dead. I

Never do that, if a loco will not work on DC no way will it run on DCC and you risk frying the decoder. On any event a new DCC installation should be checked first on programming mode to ensure everything is okay before the full DCC hits it.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, PMP said:

Actually, PMP, while I’m as capable of buffoonery as the next man, in this instance I’m just confused!  The 94xx comment is apparently posted by you 04/08/2020 at 19.35, so unless there is some glitch with the site it is something to do with you; you authored it. 

Andy Y had a go at me a year or so ago a out continually banging on (his phrase) about the delayed 94xx which will, assuming it turns up in November as expected, have had a lead time of over 5 years, and he had a point, so I’ve backed off on that particular subject.  It’s not something I’m going to get in a sweat over, but I am of the view that my confusion is down to a post you didn’t put up being attributed to you rather than my buffoonery.  

Lovely word btw; I think it’s one of Shakespeare’s, isn’t it? 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Actually, PMP, while I’m as capable of buffoonery as the next man, in this instance I’m just confused!  The 94xx comment is apparently posted by you 04/08/2020 at 19.35, so unless there is some glitch with the site it is something to do with you; you authored it. 

I can't establish why it's misrepresented the quoting, your quote here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/156906-oh-hornby-what-are-you-doing-mates-short-rant/&do=findComment&comment=4071798  seems to be a contraction (via editing) of the original https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/156906-oh-hornby-what-are-you-doing-mates-short-rant/&do=findComment&comment=4071559 with incorrect attribution.

Hi @AY Mod (and  @PMP and @The Johnster)

If you highlight a phrase within a longer post you get the pop-up option to make that a quote.  If you do this with a phrase written by Fowler quoted within a post by Stanier the quote in your reply box is attributed to Stanier.  Don't know how to solve that, but in the meantime I'm searching Phil's posts to see if I can create some mischief.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Dokaforritee has become a favourite at Cwmdimbath, in the guise of Cyclops, the resident colliery pilot.  While she may not be an accurate model of anything, the nearest I can find being some DM jackshaft driven New Zealand Bagnalls, she has plenty of 50s character.  She looks the part, which is important, and while madly undergeared and capable of insane speeds, can be tamed with careful driving to run slowly, and, despite her coarse wheels, glides serenely through code 100 Peco medium radius insulfrogs.  

I am on the lookout for a jackshaft chassis for her, though.  She’s assumed to be a DH for now.  Off topic but very representative of an era when scale and detail were less important than robust construction and bombproof reliability.  She’s got plenty carbon on her brushes, I gave her the full deep clean treatment, and she’ll outlast me I reckon!

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 02:57, Wheres_Wally said:

I was told by someone in the motor industry that for quality go for a car built on a robot production line. Hand made cars can be 3/4 inch different in lengths between the sides.

It's not just cars and models!

I was told not so long ago by some builders of fast jets that the F35 Lightning was the first jet that left their factory with an absolutely straight fuselage. Previous efforts like the Eurofighter (Typhoon) were built banana shaped so on first flight would display natural tendency to turn left/turn right/climb/descend which had to be calibrated out by adjusting controls so that input equalled output.

Edited by Sotto
spelling!

• RMweb Gold

Ships are built similarly, almost impossible to maintain a dead straight line stem to stern and even if you do loading results in a list one way or another.  They therefore have to be steered to maintain a straight course.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to the OP, I recently returned a Royal Scot to Hornby for repair.  It had never been out of the box, but when I tested it during lockdown the gears weren't meshing. 

Sent it back to Hornby and after a couple of weeks got an email saying it was being sent back and when to expect it.  Package arrived as promised and upon opening their letter advised they at repaired it with a new chassis block.  All this was at their expense.  Given the repaired loco was bought from Signal Box Rochester (long gone) for £72 (price sticker still on the box) I have to say I think this is outstanding service.  

Big thank you and thumbs up to Hornby for their support.

Steve

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Back to the OP, I recently returned a Royal Scot to Hornby for repair.  It had never been out of the box, but when I tested it during lockdown the gears weren't meshing. 

Sent it back to Hornby and after a couple of weeks got an email saying it was being sent back and when to expect it.  Package arrived as promised and upon opening their letter advised they at repaired it with a new chassis block.  All this was at their expense.  Given the repaired loco was bought from Signal Box Rochester (long gone) for £72 (price sticker still on the box) I have to say I think this is outstanding service.  

Big thank you and thumbs up to Hornby for their support.

Steve

Pleased you got a great result there Steve.

What must have been a cost to Hornby which should be far outweighed by your customer satisfaction with them and good PR too for them, as you posted on here.

Doubtless many are aware (thankfully I am not affected as not my thing) of a certain issue currently which appears not to be such good PR.

Hopefully with some transparency (oil of troubled waters) Hornby might turn that around and with instances like your positive experience have happy customers who will in turn buy more products. 

Always looking for a 'win-win' when I can!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received an email from Hornby/DPD yesterday updated this morning advising of a delivery of my order today.

Problem: I have not ordered anything. The promised DPD timed delivery slot has not materialised in any case.Thus it appears to be another example of a malfunctioning system.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation ?

I have emailed Hornby re: the problem. Wonder if and when I’ll receive a response.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Additional text.