THE SEE IT/MAKE IT CHALLENGE: ROUND SIX

• Moderators

Urban decay creeps into the subject matter for the final round of our See it/Make it Challenge, with a Hornby Class 66 in DB Schenker livery up for grabs.

The final round of our See it/Make it challenge is set to test your abilities of weathering and adding patina to your model buildings. Inspired by the below photograph taken in Truro, we'd like you to match (as closely as possible) the empty shop in model form.

75038625_shopTruroforupload.jpg.cd082ecbf4f66456455e2dfa9bef8665.jpg

Here's something to grab your attention, too – the winner of this challenge will receive a Hornby Class 66 (R3778) in DB Schenker livery, worth £74.99!

1990950799_foruploadClass66.jpg.1258e66574ffb917478803d0987ad01d.jpg

Read more here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Techniques/the-see-it-make-it-challenge-round-six

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think the one @Howard Smith has posted looks quite realistically weathered :lol:

I was tempted to have a go at this myself but I’m sure everyone knows by now it would be close to Christmas before it was anywhere near finished :rolleyes:

I’m still on track to win the RMWEB ‘pull your  bl**dy finger out and get your layout finished’ award

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think the one @Howard Smith has posted looks quite realistically weathered :lol:

I was tempted to have a go at this myself but I’m sure everyone knows by now it would be close to Christmas before it was anywhere near finished :rolleyes:

I’m still in track to win the RMWEB ‘pull your  bl**dy finger out and get your layout finished’ award

I’ll run you a close second :D!!!!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
On 17/08/2020 at 07:27, Captainalbino said:

Not everyone wants to publish their progress. I’ve got a build on the go, but I’m not happy with it just yet.

That's a sterling effort and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I'd ask you to share how you've done what you've done, but it's probably top-secret at this stage?

Best of luck,

H

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2020 at 20:48, chuffinghell said:

I’m still on track to win the RMWEB ‘pull your  bl**dy finger out and get your layout finished’ award

I suspect there might be a lot of contenders for this one (and not just for layouts).

Huw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2020 at 16:40, Howard Smith said:

That's a sterling effort and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I'd ask you to share how you've done what you've done, but it's probably top-secret at this stage?

Best of luck,

H

Now my entry is in, I’m more than happy to tell you how it was made.

The model was built in card, but the designing done in AutoCAD. After all, if it’s good enough to use for full sized buildings, then why not 1:76 buildings? However instead of CAD, it could be drawn straight onto paper in a similar way.

Firstly, we need a set of plans and elevations for the build. The length and width are obtained from google earth, and the height by counting bricks from the photographs. The rest of the details are assumed.

In the end, you get this which can be printed off two or three times to make the different layers.

BBA1FB09-1533-47C3-8201-5EEC822630B8.jpeg.4df2dcaa90822e6f1006e3c1d2746b56.jpeg

Its then spray mounted onto card from 4D model shop and cut with a scalpel. It’s then glued together to get this:

250CC7B7-492E-4A96-A9A2-AA2904AE2B79.jpeg.49222e98810f40ed3d4aa8d94a459e6f.jpeg

The building is then clad in brick paper from Scalescenes.com. The roof is from a recycled cereal packet.

F510F706-23FF-44FC-BE28-E0A79C7CB887.jpeg.96a725a713f5adac04d710bd36c8c6e8.jpeg

Windows are printed onto A4 paper and glued onto acetate. 3d printed, etched or laser cut would probably work better, I just don’t have the equipment.

Eventually, you have something like this. Curtains are photos from the internet scaled and printed on paper and glued on the inside of the window.

6C628129-BADF-4CB4-ABF3-6CCF234C5F7E.jpeg.f06c44e3c154857bbc1c6c432109d097.jpeg

Its detailed with plastic Ratio guttering and weathered with powders.

I could have done a bit more, but this was as good as it was going to get whilst making time for family holidays!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• Moderators

SEE IT/MAKE IT CHALLENGE: ROUND SIX WINNER

The final installment of our modelling challenge has ended – the test of observation and skill culminating in a worthy winner.

Read more here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Techniques/the-see-it-make-it-challenge-round-six

And before anybody asks, yes, we were thin on the ground for entries in this one....

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/09/2020 at 10:39, Howard Smith said:

Did anything come of this? Interested if so...

Hi @Howard Smith

Thank you for the kind mention in Friday's WoR newsletter. Unfortunately life got in the way of modelling and I wasn't able to finish in time.

You've prompted me to finish it off, the building gained its roof this afternoon. There's still some bits I want to work on though - I'll keep you posted!

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Hi @Howard Smith

Thank you for the kind mention in Friday's WoR newsletter. Unfortunately life got in the way of modelling and I wasn't able to finish in time.

You've prompted me to finish it off, the building gained its roof this afternoon. There's still some bits I want to work on though - I'll keep you posted!

Please do! I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see photographs of how it turns out. It's great that you made a start and hopefully you might find the odd hour here and there without the pressure of a deadline. These challenges were all about getting folk modelling and we're really pleased at the efforts made.

H