Hornby Product Announcement - July 31st 2020

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby will be making a product announcement on 31st July 2020 at 10:00am via their "Signal Box" YouTube series.

Tune in for the announcement....

Ooh, an announcement about an announcement!

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Meh another bloody terrier. 

Love the Hornby Terriers, but I'm a bit bored of the number of them. Factor in the RoS one and the UK has been flooded with Terriers. :jester:

What a pity it wasn't Mk4 coaches. Well....bring on Dec-Jan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Love the Hornby Terriers, but I'm a bit bored of the number of them. Factor in the RoS one and the UK has been flooded with Terriers. :jester:

What a pity it wasn't Mk4 coaches. Well....bring on Dec-Jan

Yeah that’s 11 versions Hornby have released this year now. If that’s not flooding the market, I don’t know what is. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

I’m wondering if it’s another early loco like the ‘Rocket’. If so, my money is on ‘Lion’ or ‘Planet’ considering the second class S&R wagons inbound in Sep :)

Small locos are a good target because they are less expensive, so are easier to ship/stock in larger numbers & also have a more affordable purchase price.

As for the other early locos, Lion/Planet/Novelty etc.. I think these are unlikely.

Rocket sold well because almost everyone has heard of it. It is the most famous steam loco by a long way (Ignore NRM's false hype about the Scotsman, that doesn't come close to Rocket). Virtually everyone has heard of it whether they have an interest in model railways or not. This will have contributed to its sales.

The same is not true of other locos around the same era, so they will appeal to a smaller market.

• RMweb Gold

I think this was a bit over hyped, was it not? If they had trailed it as "A special announcement for Collectors Club members" we would have realised it was going to be a relivery of an existing model as a special run for Collectors Club. But this was announced in the same way as the mid-year announcements last year.

• Agree 4

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

As for the other early locos, Lion/Planet/Novelty etc.. I think these are unlikely.

Rocket sold well because almost everyone has heard of it. It is the most famous steam loco by a long way (Ignore NRM's false hype about the Scotsman, that doesn't come close to Rocket). Virtually everyone has heard of it whether they have an interest in model railways or not. This will have contributed to its sales.

The same is not true of other locos around the same era, so they will appeal to a smaller market.

I might make a case for Lion. It is well known enough for a G1 version to be available - probably helped by The Titfield Thunderbolt - but I can't see any appetite for the rest. None of them are as pretty for a start.

I'd buy one, but then my tastes in toy trains are well known not to be mainstream...

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think it is club members only

So really at the end of the day they just announced the next club model . Might have been better if they said that in the first place!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yeah that’s 11 versions Hornby have released this year now. If that’s not flooding the market, I don’t know what is. 

Yet on other threads where Accurascale, Hattons etc. launch multiple versions at the same time they are commended and people slate the likes of Hornby / Bachmann for not doing the same.

Can't win can they?

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 11