A Broad Gauge Timber Goods Shed?

I didn't want to add to your worries , but Fradley Park is a at Lichfield few miles south of me at home, and a lot of our parcel deliveries come via Hermes site at Fradley usually at least with some superficial damage to the outer wrapping.

Fradley was a war-time bomber base and a number of the earth covered hangars exist and are used by a variety of distribution companies. 

The airfield may have been used for the glider paratroop air drop into N. France as part of the D-Day landings.

Certainly when I did my Air Cadets glider training course in 1947(or 48) on a very wet non-flying day we entered one of the original hangers to find Horsa Troop carrier glider stored there.   

We attached the wings to the fuselage (all the bits were present) and using the on-site winch our RAF instructors got it off the ground in straight and level flight the length of the airfield!  Much self congratulating ensued!

Sadly I have never flown in a glider since those days! but given the opportunity i would love to do so.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The cardboard tube in which the drawing had been packed had a small crease at one end and that was all Don.  Plainly Hermes's parcel damaging division must've been home in their caves self isolating on the day when the drawing passed through Fradley Park.  Getting the drawing here in my hands has been an expensive exercise so it was an huge relief when it arrived safe and undamaged.

Thanks for the further information about Fradley Park and your memories of it as an Air Cadet.  My Dad was in the RNZAF as a Leading Aircraftman and I have fond memories of him building model aircraft on the kitchen table, - some of them quite large.  Unfortunately none of them have survived which is a pity.

• Friendly/supportive 3