MRJ 279

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I shall not mourn the passing of the cardboard envelopes, which do not fit through my letter box.

I had the same problem when I got married and bought my first house many moons ago.  First DIY job was a new front door with an extra wide letter box, specifically to accommodate the MRJ.  When the next issue arrived, the Postie still folded it lengthways and rammed it through the letterbox!

Personally, I prefer the card backed envelope and would gladly pay a small premium for it to continue, as my copy of 279 arrived this morning with a crease down one side....:mad:

Regards

Dan

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've only once had a delivery disaster, when the postie slid MRJ under the garage door rather than folding it to fit through the letterbox - usually we leave the porch doors open, so post doesn't go through the letterbox! I eventually reported non-delivery to Wild Swan, who kindly sent a replacement. Some months later I found the missing MRJ, safe, sound, and dry. (The layout gets in the way of that bit of the floor behind the garage door!)

1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

The change away from card backed envelopes may be permanent though, is this not what every other magazine in the land is sent out in?

I just ask the question...

For my money - and a little bit extra for the hard-backed envelope if necessary - I would far prefer my MRJ to arrive uncreased.

I have 'em all, including 0 and the Compendia, and I'd like to keep future issues in the same condition as hitherto.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

If "we" wish to discuss cardboard, perhaps a separate thread would be in order ?

Thanks to absolutely everyone for getting this edition created and out there in such unprecedented circumstances!

Cheers

Timbob

Edited by Tim Dubya
anchovies
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

If "we" wish to discuss cardboard, perhaps a separate thread would be in order 

I think we're done now

This lockdown has seen me start to play cards and I'm bored.

"Cards - bored"

FweeCell-2087_08-08-2020.JPG.03663ebdb47ef3eac262832c8d3fc313.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

No, no change of ownership.

Simply a change of address as we have all had to move out of the Didcot premises.

So that’s the end of my self-styled claim to fame - being the MRJ subscriber who lives closest to the Hagbourne Road Office... Less than half-a-mile.

Still, I suppose everyone gets their 23 years of fame these days, so I can’t really complain :-)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

This lockdown has seen me start to play cards and I'm bored.

"Cards - bored"

FweeCell-2087_08-08-2020.JPG.03663ebdb47ef3eac262832c8d3fc313.JPG

Careful mate, they'll have you flying spacecraft next.  Happened to my uncle Albert in the 60's!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

The change away from card backed envelopes may be permanent though, is this not what every other magazine in the land is sent out in?

I just ask the question...

For what it's worth, I get a small number of magazines.  MRJ was the only one to appear in  a card backed envelope (which usually fitted through my letter box), the others appear in a variety of paper or compostable envelopes, and it is far from unknown for them to suffer for it.

Incoming post is currently quarantined for 24 hours, so I'll see what the contents look like tomorrow (which I'm very much looking forward to), the envelope as a number of small creases in it, how many of those are from its trip through the postal system, how many from going through the letter box, and how many from the resulting 4ft drop to the floor I can't say.

Regardless, its arrival was most welcome.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today as well. I put the white envelope down to a change in the printers or distribution arrangements.

Either way, I was glad to receive it and it's once again a great issue, so well done, Jerry. Nice to see an OO layout in MRJ, too! ;)

And how interesting it was to have a brief frisson of excitement, between the time when I opened the magazine, whilst reposing in the Room of Ease (sorry, tmi) and immediately noticing the Titfield address and reading this thread a little while later and realising that Amazon Simon hasn't actually taken Cygnet over as well!

Edited by Captain Kernow
A blancmange.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Wot Ho MV Ferret!

OO, blimey I thought it was EM - really must pay more attention.

Envelope-wise, you are spot on, the subs issues are now being sent out via a mailing house per the printers.

I am hoping this is the start of a few more subtle changes some of which might address some of the concerns people express over MRJ on a regular basis.

Yes, things really are changing and not all for the worse hopefully.

As regards the plastic envelopes I can see both sides of the "argument" but do find some of  the reported tales of woe a bit hard to take. My Scalefour news for example arrives in a plastic envelope and I have never had a bent/ruined/creased copy.

And no I have not taken control of anything, I'm just reporting the situation as it is and as I see it.

Simon

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

My Scalefour news for example arrives in a plastic envelope and I have never had a bent/ruined/creased copy.

Simon

If you’d like yours bent/ruined/creased, I can provide the service for a modest fee.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2020 at 19:45, Captain Kernow said:

Nice to see an OO layout in MRJ, too! ;)

There's hope for me yet then.......:mail:

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2020 at 20:24, Not Jeremy said:

I am hoping this is the start of a few more subtle changes some of which might address some of the concerns people express over MRJ on a regular basis.

Yes, things really are changing and not all for the worse hopefully.

Doing a spot of web development recently, I idly enquired about a couple of rather obvious domains while renewing the ones I was working on.

Registered it seems.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Doing a spot of web development recently, I idly enquired about a couple of rather obvious domains while renewing the ones I was working on.

Registered it seems.

Ah, but by whom?

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the issue, the article on Copenhagen Fields really shows what is possible only in such a small scale and with a big team. Magnificent, even if not yet finished. But it wouldn't quite fit in my modelling room (approx 120 ft square) and neither at my rate of modelling, which seems to be about the same as many others, would I ever be able to attempt anything even a fraction of the size. But I think a big vote of thanks is due to the MRC for showing what is possible. It is interesting that another layout which I regard as iconic, Chee Tor, was mentioned but perhaps dismissed a little too lightly, though it is sad it was not around longer.

And I await with interest the subtle changes hinted at. A No 2 shop perhaps?

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Chee Tor was dismissed lightly, the Copenhagen Fields team are very good friends with the Chee Tor team and there have been occasions where the two have been exhibited in the same venue. Having helped move Chee Tor, it was very heavy, due to the weight of the carved plaster scenery. I believe it didn't really have the crating and portability that Copenhagen Fields has been forced to adopt.  Maybe that took its toll on the enthusiasm and motivation to exhibit? I believe it now has a permanent home in Canada. Both Chee Tor and Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo reached a point where further development gave diminishing returns.  I feel this is a characteristic of, for want of a better term, countryside layouts.

Even now, after nearly 40 years, Copenhagen Fields can still absorb just about any detail that's worthwhile incorporating. Earlier this year, I made a couple of vehicles (pre-war Reliant and Austin 7 vans) which are admittedly both tiny. On the layout, they will become quite insignificant little items. Before that, I produced some advertising hoardings which seemed quite large on the workbench but simply became part of the overall scene. 

Perhaps this is why the layout has been able to sustain the team's interest for such a long time.

Mark

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1