MRJ 279

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DLT said:

What was the difference between a Roneo and a Gestetner?

I don't know, I just remember a girlfriend in the 80's typing out the sheets and putting them on a roller. It was Mucky ........... but then so was she..:D

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I guess, when I go to Smiths to buy my copy of 279, it will be the last time before they close down. I’ll subscribe after that, perhaps I ought to have subscribed much earlier on.

Rob.

18 hours ago, DLT said:

What was the difference between a Roneo and a Gestetner?

There were also 'Banda' duplicators/printing machines. We had one at school that often used by teachers for handout notes. It was spirit based and printed in a curious mauve/purple colour with the last few copies badly faded and difficult to read.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ordered my copy from Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop, along with a few back issues.

I rarely go into our local Smiths and when out and about for work, I do not find many Smiths with stock and then only those in towns.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Dolly the post girl failed to deliver this morning. I've gone off her now...

Stewart

Never mind, did she have MRJ 279 for you to read instead?

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

279 just arrived down here on the very sunny Sussex coast. Hopefully the non-card backed envelope is a temporary measure as mine is only just on the "will keep rather than ask for a replacement" side. But I am very grateful that it's still able to keep going in these unusual times.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Another superb issue - congratulations to @queensquare and all involved in putting it together and getting it out under the present difficult conditions. The great advantage of 2 mm finescale in print is that I can see it without having to keep faffing around changing spectacles!

But what am I going to do for modelling card?

Now to fill out the subscription slip for the next four issues.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Only just noticed the change of address to Titfield at Bath from Didcot - is this a change of ownership or something? A bit worried about the no scheduled date for MRJ280 .......

Isn't this simply because they've given up the Didcot premises now that MRJ is, I think, the only magazine from the former Wild Swan stable* still continuing? As to the lack of date for No. 280, that seems reasonable under the present circumstances - or perhaps simply @AY Mod has had words to dampen the frothing? He's already and wisely locked the MRJ 280 topic! Anyway, Cygnet have asked for and will get my money for the next four issues.

*swannery?

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Only just noticed the change of address to Titfield at Bath from Didcot - is this a change of ownership or something? A bit worried about the no scheduled date for MRJ280 .......

No, no change of ownership.

Simply a change of address as we have all had to move out of the Didcot premises.

You will note that the telephone number is still a Didcot number, reaching the usual people.

So, to repeat, no change in ownership. All mail received at Bath will be forwarded to Cygnet unopened.

As to the date for next publication, well quite!

As I said earlier, way too pessimistic a statement for the actual situation, which is actually very positive.

The change away from card backed envelopes may be permanent though, is this not what every other magazine in the land is sent out in?

I just ask the question...

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
typo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

The change away from card backed envelopes may be permanent though, is this not what every other magazine in the land is sent out in?

Other modelling magazines have the occasional plastic or card kit as a promotion. I've always appreciated the way that, true to its ethos, MRJ provided a free scratchbuilt card model with every issue.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Funny 6