MRJ 279

Tim Dubya

2 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

Both Chee Tor and Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo reached a point where further development gave diminishing returns.  I feel this is a characteristic of, for want of a better term, countryside layouts.

Even now, after nearly 40 years, Copenhagen Fields can still absorb just about any detail that's worthwhile incorporating. 

On a large urban layout I've always been under the impression that development through the overlaying of additional and further levels of details and specific items/features has a greater potential than on a rural scenic layout. Nonetheless, getting modelled nature to look it's splendid and majestic best is a tricky proposition.

Edited by grahame
Correction
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am aware of some of the history of Chee Tor as one of the members of my current club was involved with it. He has commented on its weight.

It and Luton Hoo/Chiltern Green were both for me "wow" layouts, especially as I lived very close to Luton Hoo. I think they influenced my approach to modelling considerably.

A funny story which I may have told before. Once when it was being exhibited locally my wife came with me. She liked it too, but commented that the sun was coming from the north rather than the south.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

A funny story which I may have told before. Once when it was being exhibited locally my wife came with me. She liked it too, but commented that the sun was coming from the north rather than the south.

Jonathan

It looked better that way... Actually, one reason for it was that it stopped the light shining in the eyes of the Luton Hoo operator.

Tim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grahame said:

On a large urban layout I've always been under the impression that development through the overlaying of additional and further levels of details and specific items/features has a greater potential than on a rural scenic layout. 

I don’t think the size is over important, it’s the skill of knowing what to include. For example your layouts aren’t large, but capture London brilliantly. 

Just received my copy from Titfield Thunderbolt and I just want to praise the effort that they went to deliver a pristine magazine to me. Within the sturdy cardboard envelope the magazine was contained in a paper bag and then taped to a very robust piece of cardboard. Truly service above and beyond. Gentlemen/Ladies, thank you.

spacer.png

Look at that corner, perfect! Others the same.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rumblestripe said:

Just received my copy from Titfield Thunderbolt and I just want to praise the effort that they went to deliver a pristine magazine to me. Within the sturdy cardboard envelope the magazine was contained in a paper bag and then taped to a very robust piece of cardboard. Truly service above and beyond. Gentlemen/Ladies, thank you.

spacer.png

Look at that corner, perfect! Others the same.

Is this a subscription copy?  .... because that's not how mine arrived - somewhat wrinkly in a plain white envelope.

John Isherwood.

15 hours ago, PMP said:

I don’t think the size is over important, it’s the skill of knowing what to include. For example your layouts aren’t large, but capture London brilliantly. 

Thanks for the compliment, although I guess we're starting to touch on atmosphere and character, which is, as you say, a skill of judging what to include. Capturing atmosphere is certainly something that elevates a layout and something I like to see.

I only really mentioned large layouts as CF is one such example and that the larger a layout, the more it seems able to absorb more levels of details without becoming overly cluttered and cramped.

If people are still looking for copies of MRJ279 then I left two on the shelves of the local Byfleet village post office/newsagents when I purchased a copy yesterday.

Edited by grahame

Given the uncertainty over MRJ supplies at Smiffs, for the second issue running, I’ve purchased my copy via Titfield. Making the postage more cost effective, added one or Lightmoor Press’ latest releases and some MRJ back issues that have been added to their stock. Must praise the excellent service once again, plus the nice surprise for a lover of esoteric canals that I found in my parcel. 10/10.

As for MRJ... Isn’t the model of Harry Gall’s shop just exquisite?!!

Andrew

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I got my last two issues, from Smiffs in Kidderminster,  having tried the Plimuff city centre branch on a weekly basis for 278, until liberation in Kiddy.

I was visiting me mum at the weekend,  so at the first opportunity, I was straight in to get 279 and what an excellent issue it is.

As I always try and do, I got my copy from my local model shop, Alton Model Centre.  Splendid edition, so many congrats to all those involved in producing this one under such difficult circumstances.  My first MRJ (No.1 - had to get the reprint of No. 0) came from W H Smiths in Preston when I lived up in the North West, and I have managed to get every one since then..

I can never begin to match the skills of the many contributors over the years, and have given up ever managing to model in "finescale", but I still enjoy the hobby in my own way.  I seem to remember David Jenkinson, in one of his many articles, saying "to thine own self be true".....and I've realised the wisdom of that at last!!

• Like 2

As I'm still trying to avoid going into shops if possible, I once again ordered my copy from The Titfield Thunderbolt and was delighted to receive it the next day. Always excellent service from Simon, and he takes the trouble to include a "thank you" note too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Finally found time for some peace and quiet to read the latest issue. Whilst 2mm scale is usually a little small for my tastes, a great issue with some exquisite modelling on display which I’ve enjoyed reading.

A394E662-F9C5-4C44-9E4D-BB49C6A1874C.jpeg

What a splendid location to read MRJ - I'm really envious!

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I'd claim last to receive my copy which arrived today, but I'm sure some poor soul on a distant Pacific Island is still waiting for their #279. Nigel Bird sends me my copy by Royal Mail. 

• RMweb Premium

Usually I read the articles in MRJ and am inspired to try harder myself. Somehow, though, the two articles on locomotive building have made me feel completely inadequate. The modelling is absolutely superb, and a standard I would regard as excellent in 4 mm. How do they do it?

On the other hand, it was good to read about Copenhagen Fields. 

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 1