Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Obituary - Dennis Franklin - Genius designer at Kitmaster & Playcraft

kitmasterbloke

• RMweb Gold

Like many of us my modelling career has benefitted from Derek’s input. The free Wagon kits that came with Weetabix must have been his... and a Playcraft Class 21 set was all my parents could afford for me. Still remember the distinctive smell!

Rest in peace Dennis ... and thank you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a fascinating story that I was completely unaware of, thank you very much for sharing it with us.

My very first train set was Playcraft, I can picture it now. I used to admire all the different sets you could see in Woolworths....

I still have the well engineered double ended motor that was fitted into the class 21 that got added to my clockwork set a bit later. It runs beautifully and still has a lovely and distinctive smell - lubricating oil in its ball/roller bearings?

I hope to fit it into another model I am building, by which time it will be nearly sixty years old - I'd better get a move on!

Rest in peace indeed Dennis and thank you from me too, what a very talented man you were.

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
to add last line
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed a fascinating story.

In Englefield Green there was a TV repair shop which oddly had a small display of KM made up kits. Of course I couldn't resist saving up for a Kitmaster MK1 which was the first kit of any sort that I ever bought. 

We all owe Mr Franklin a lot.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Oh what can I say? In the mid 1960's my wonderful (much loved) Mum and Dad got me a Playcraft train set. Dad dressed it up with an Airfix loco shed and some fuzzy felt grass. I adored my Playcraft set; it came with the Derzel and a Steam engine that I recall had a USA look about it. I was Bulleid and punched-up a lot at school because I had Playcraft and not a Hornby. :(

What a wonderful life he must have lived. Rest Peacefully Mr D Franklin: you've earned it :)