Newhaven breakwater branch

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A chance discovery of a picture of a Terrier at the bottom of a cliff led to this Website  which prompted the purchase of the relevant Middleton Press volume. Just a question, was the Newhaven Breakwater branch the exclusive domain of Terriers, if so, is there a list of those allocated to Newhaven? 

The breakwater is of no interest but the scruffy bit between the fort and river crossing with boats, nets, repair yards is rather tempting without looking like Arun Quay. And an excuse to buy the Hornby Terrier.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Bradley contains the known info.

There were other locos before the Terriers, MW 0-6-0ST ‘Wave’ and ‘Bradford’, and the Terrier most associated with the line is ‘Fenchurch’, which was sold to the harbour company in 1898 (which itself was a sort LBSCR satellite company) and came back into main stock under the SR In 1927 with a different number. ‘Peckham’ was loaned to the harbour company when the MWs were off sick.

In BR days, and probably to a lesser extent SR days, many different Terriers were used at Newhaven. A good place to look is “Sussex Motive Power Depots”, which has many photos and a lot of interesting yarns.

The Bluebell Railway published a really detailed ‘bookazine’ about Fenchurch for her centenary in 1972, which contains a lot of Newhaven photos, worth looking out for second-hand.

Here is a coarse-0 evocation of the post-1927 situation.

53B3A8BF-9855-42D2-9AAE-EB11B39D41D5.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

The linked local website provides a allocation within the text, it seems only two Terriers were allocated at any one time of which only one in steam, looks like being a frugal layout. The linear nature of the branch, wandering through the roads and across slips really appeals, ‘nautical grot’ being a different type of grot to heavy industry. Another oft neglected spot that score high on the inspiration charts is Shoreham wharfside but this is too akin to Arun Quay.

Finally, a pm has just reminded me that I never really developed Chapel Tramway before giving away the Tim Horn module, maybe there is further opportunity to revisit this system to capture its potential. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

There’s a Town museum in the area that Tramway used to run through, which must have more info about the buildings/industries, but I now live a long way from the town and only get rate chances to visit, so have never had a look. The area has changed hugely in even the past forty years - I was really surprised by how hard it was to “get my bearings” when I cycled through there last summer.

One thing I do know is that there was a big whiting pit and works, which had a horse-drawn railway long before the breakwater was built, so the West Quay tramway crossed its tracks as they ran to the waterside.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

When I was little, we got stuck in a traffic jam waiting for a train to cross the road and rail swing bridge in the centre of Newhaven. The main coast road (A27) went through Newhaven town centre in those days instead of several miles inland. Unfortunately we were too far back in the queue to be able to see anything :-(

Somewhere, I am sure that I have seen a photo of a board at the end of the swing bridge which stated that  only Terrier class locos were allowed to cross. Is there any other example of a loco nickname being immortalised on an official sign?

For a model of Wave, the RT Models Manning Wardle makes up  into good representation. Photographic evidence of the original is somewhat limited.

219257303_waveshrunk12.JPG.460b346090cd5755d593f8cd216ab1af.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The signs got even more specific: in the Fenchurch Centenary book there is a photo of one saying that only the A1X class locomotive Fenchurch was allowed to pass, IIRC that was on the very unstable East Quay Tramway, out towards the Tidemills.

Also, worth looking at "Britain from Above", this image https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW028825 and others taken on the same sunny day in 1950 are amazingly clear and full of modellogenic detail.

The photos, and those of Littlehampton Quay, make me think that steam cranes were probably used for shunting the odd wagon or two.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

....... and an excuse to buy the Hornby Terrier.

You don’t really need an excuse to buy one of these delightful little engines..... but there’s always the Hayling branch. Just the matter of producing a scaled down Langstone Bridge!!!

A 1950 edition of  “Ian Allan” shows 32636 and 32647 being allocated to the Newhaven sub-shed while later volumes generalise the Brighton shed code for the class members, some of which would be have been Newhaven based. Needless to say, locos were “rotated” as and when visits to the parent shed or works were required.

Meanwhile, if it helps at all, here are a couple of hastily scanned photos of  32670 for reference.

78BDD2AF-1CD2-4E87-9C1A-1B528DDB899D.jpeg

E0C9FF43-5017-4037-B1DA-9FA505C2B405.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The signs got even more specific: in the Fenchurch Centenary book there is a photo of one saying that only the A1X class locomotive Fenchurch was allowed to pass, IIRC that was on the very unstable East Quay Tramway, out towards the Tidemills.

I am sure that you are right and thatis what I was remembering. The irony is that Fenchurch had lost its name on sale to the Newhaven Harbour Company. Evidently, it was still referred to by its former name. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Whoever suggested the purchase of Haywards Heath to Seaford from Middleton, please accept my thanks.

An excellent choice and a cheap copy was sourced, a double plus.

A small Micro consisting of two foamcore boards will feature a scene reminiscent of West Harbour, I just needed an excuse to buy a Hornby Terrier.

BD306925-FD17-4543-A10E-AACE3C2D8973.jpeg.60b094e8c03bf43d43b855b9e32fa57b.jpeg

Thank you and Stay Safe