Lockdown T Gauge experiments - power and 3D printing

justin1985

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some progress with BR Mk2 Intercity coach test piece - the side in the first picture has some raised relief under the laser decal (unfortunately the decal is a bit distorted at the left hand side because I touched it when still wet with Microsol).

IMG_20200810_141510.jpg.dea0c10cd698b8349865a049bf020a55.jpg

The other side has no relief.

IMG_20200810_141501.jpg.686e230bb6c66df492888648ecd1d879.jpg

I kind of think the raised relief looks better, even if it's over scale. What do you think?

I left it on the print supports to hold it! I'll improve the design of the underframe details, add buffers, which I'd forgotten, and then I think it will be ready to make some final models!

This test model was sprayed white and the decal was laser printed on clear film, with black rectangles traced from the CAD of the model to represent the windows. In reality the windows are heavily tinted, so I think this works well.

I did also print a set of decals with clear windows, and a separate white layer, to keep transparent windows, but I don't think it would add much - especially as the "black" resin I used is not as translucent as I thought. I might try that approach with clear resin if I end up modelling any prototypes that had non-tinted windows though (like Mk1s).

It's certainly been fun experimenting with T Gauge :)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

I've got the Mk2 coach design ready to a point where I'm satisfied with it now. Here are two of the FO finished in Intercity livery, and another as a (NatEx era) Caledonian Sleeper lounge car (other side has two windows "plated").

IMG_20200816_174246.jpg.3aa0cc56d072d78942773360904cfcea.jpg

I'm happy with the bogies now, even though it does seem to perhaps sit a bit high still. The next thing is to figure out a way of close coupling. The stock Arnold clone pushes the coaches a very long way apart, even with the coupling pocket printed as close to the axles as possible.

I'm thinking along the lines of a tiny magnet (ordered some 1x0.5mm) inside the corridor connection, covered with a curved section to act as a pivot ... 

Justin

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Marly51 said:

I’m very impressed with the detail you have achieved, Justin! Are you planning to create a scenic layout?

Marlyn

Many thanks Marlyn!

Longer term I'd definitely like to put together a scenic layout, perhaps with Culloden viaduct as a focus. It would just be "watching trains go by" though, perhaps with some kind of automatic shuttle for trains to alternate.

I got stumped on coming up with a coupling that got the coaches reasonably close together without locking the bogies together too solidly to negotiate curves, then got distracted back to my projects in 2mm scale. I've just come up with a new design for a pivoting 1mm magnet coupler (similar to the "Hunt" couplers available in N) which I'll try printing soon though. If I can get that sorted, I'll move on to the other coaches for the ScotRail sleeper!

Justin

• Like 2

I’ll be fascinated to see your progress, Justin. Another Forum member has just sent me a copy of the drawings of Carrbridge Station, so I am going to have a go at producing a model which is still hopefully recognisable in such a small scale! We’ll see!!! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around for a while with designs for a coupling that brings T gauge stock a bit closer together.

I think I finally got something I'm happy with in the form of what's basically a magnet in a pocket with a stick with pip that fits a T gauge style coupler pocket.

IMG_20201028_222500__01.jpg.ac9bc6476e8312746e3e265216a275ee.jpg

IMG_20201028_222749.jpg.b03ec99fa2eff26fe91a071f46fb9a49.jpg

However, now I can run a train, it does show up the fact the cl.67 really struggles to haul them on curves (fine on straight track). I'm not at all sure whether the plastic wheel flanges might be striking the fishplates, whether the couplings are constraining rotation too much, or whether the curves are just too tight for the design. T was never going to be easy!

It also shows up the fact that the RTR cl.67 must be a bit over scale, at least in height, seeing as I designed the mk.2s directly to scale at 1:450!

IMG_20201028_222506.jpg.7a54fff4103c4ae0ac2da11fdab9a5bf.jpg

All fun to experiment with anyway!

J

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Ref scale; before you mentioned the 67 being larger, I looked at your pic of the mk2 on the curve and thought it looked under scale compared to the track. Which is odd if you're spot on with the 1:450. 

Brilliant work though, hope you can resolve the discrepancy. 

• Like 1