Shapeways pound/dollar exchange rate problem?

Not sure what to make of this. Maybe it is just me, but since last night(in effect start of monh),I have noticed UK prices on my items have dollar/pound conversion wrong.

looks like it is wrong way round with pound price being higher than dollar price. It might not actually affect price changed but it probabably would put some off buying, thinking price has gone up.

My suspicians are that the file or software being accessed to calculate exchange rate has an error in it, but it might be outside control of Shapeways control, and as it has happened at start of a weekend, there might be fewer support staff to look at problem.

Just had a look at prices in euros and the euro price converts properly from dollars

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

looks like a classic bug, I hope, someone just entered field incorrectly. It was certainly working OK yesterday, and I only noticed I think after midnight when date changed.

Having said that, there have been some Y2K bugs resurfacing this year, because temporary fixes were simply adding 20 to some dates.

I don't do twitter(simply because I never have done, not because Idon't want to), and can't see that message.

I have put something on SW forum, so hopefully someone might notice.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Just now, Knuckles said:

I didn't know people needed a twitter account to see them.

Guess posting tweets has been pointless all this time then.

Normally you don't need an account to see public tweets, but I get the logon page too. (I have an account but I'm not logged in in this phone )

Wonder if it's that link?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Normally you don't need an account to see public tweets, but I get the logon page too. (I have an account but I'm not logged in in this phone )

Wonder if it's that link?

Possibly been 'Trumped'

I have sent a meessage to SW customer services, hopefully someone is on duty.

just received an auto reply so at least it has reached them

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Premium

You are quite right. A basic $5 print I paid £5.18 (inc VAT) for in July is now being quoted as £8.04 (£6.70 + 20% VAT), representing an exchange rate of $0.74 to the pound, when it is presumably meant to be the reciprical of this ($1.34).

This is one of my own models, but the same error applies to public prices.

Edited by Jeremy C

Sorry for the inconvenience guys!

It looks like the finance team accidentally swapped the values for the conversion from Dollar to Pounds.

I've filed a report on this to make sure it won't happen again and gets double checked before publishing.

Edit: sorry also nobody on duty during the weekends at Customer Service (i like to be off during the weekends)

Edited by SpoorObjecten
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Always seen Shapeways front-end Staff as "Artsy Fartsy" Business Approach; you

have to dig deep to get definative answers. The problem of Conversion rates and

how they present Invoices has always been a problem to understand the build-up,

and how VAT features. It appears muddled to me. US Dollars are a good Currency

to stick with and follow through to Charging.  It is how most International Trade is

conducted.

N.