Stanier Pacific at Ferryhill shed

jonny777

While transcribing spotting data for my blog/website (see url in the signature), I came across a Scottish trip in April 1953 where 5A's pacific 46243 'City Of Lancaster' was recorded as on shed at Aberdeen Ferryhill. 

Was this a regular occurrence? I don't remember seeing any photos of them that far north, although they seemed to get to Perth on occasion. 

In the 1950s early 1960s the 2 overnight Euston to Perth trains were worked between Crewe and Perth by Crewe North engines and men. These engines had a long lay over at Perth until they returned south on overnight trains. Unsurprisingly Perth running foremen were tempted to use these engines on fill in jobs to Aberdeen or Glasgow or even Edinburgh. My understanding is that the LMR authorities did not approve of this practice because the softer Scottish coal available at Perth had a lower calorific value than the hard Staffordshire coal available at Crewe. Thus appearances at Aberdeen if not routine were not really unusual.

Edited by Caley739
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Caley739 said:

In the 1950s early 1960s the 2 overnight trains Euston to Perth trains were worked between Crewe and Perth by Crewe North engines and men. These engines had a long lay over at Perth until they returned south on overnight trains. Unsurprisingly Perth running foremen were tempted to use these engines on fill in jobs to Aberdeen or Glasgow or even Edinburgh. My understanding is that the LMR authorities did not approve of this practice because the softer Scottish coal available at Perth had a lower calorific value than the hard Staffordshire coal available at Crewe. Thus appearances at Aberdeen if not routine were not really unusual.

These trains left Crewe with at least two tons of coal on the grate and 12 tons in the nominally ten-ton tender, so there would be plenty left on arrival at Perth. Here the minimum amount of Scottish coal would be taken on, just enough to get back to Crewe, so the Perth stuff would be used fairly early in the return trip when the good Crewe coal would be uncovered and used from them on especially between Carlisle and Shap Summit. Perth's using the engines on fill-in turns scuppered these carefully prepared plans and were, as said, strongly discouraged by the LMR authorities. Even so, the calculations could go seriously awry requiring the engine to go on to Dallam shed, or even Springs Branch, as there was insufficient coal left in the tender for those last few miles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And the practice continued on into the cl. 50 era. Loco works into Glasgow Central or Perth overnight, fill-in turns through the day before the loco returned South again at night.

Passenger, goods and even Freightliners to Inverness, Forfar(!), Edinburgh etc.

2 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

The Duchesses weren't the only LM Pacific type to make it to Aberdeen having been borrowed - Duke of Gloucester also did so.

And was used on at least one occasion on a service from there to Glasgow Buchanan Street in July 1961.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2020 at 16:23, Caley739 said:

The Princess Royal pacifics could also appear in Aberdeen.

I haven't found one in the spotting notes, so far; but I have found one at Perth. 

On 02/08/2020 at 08:23, Caley739 said:

The Princess Royal pacifics could also appear in Aberdeen.

6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I haven't found one in the spotting notes, so far; but I have found one at Perth. 

46203 on fish south from Aberdeen:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/686658274418205792/

and 46201 on Ferryhill before working the Aberdeen Flyer railtour south:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aglr/16462506451/

(There is a Transacord recording of 46201 on this train slipping at speed as it climbs from Carstairs towards Beattock summit.)

• 2 months later...