An amalgamation of computer and tradition - possibilities.

Dave-5-5-7

Greetings, I shall start by saying I am a current signaller and electronics nut of 30+ years (I'm only 41 so started young). I've recently began playing with DCC++, the Arduino UNO and MEGA and other such nonsense. My layout has ended up messy. 

Now I'm proposing to tidy it up, fully converting the train control to DCC via DCC++ and hopefully integrating the signal and point control.

I'm looking into JMRI to provide a panel for the driver station but not contolling any pointwork or signalling. Currently points and signalling are controlled via servos and relays through an IFS style panel. I'm wondering if position outputs from the servo microswitches and relays could be taken to the Arduino Uno Mega and used to report to the driver the position of the pointwork and signalling, and through the speed control prevent my son (he's 4) from entering the bay platform an 195mph! 

Additionally I believe it's possible to install block sensors to report the position of the train(s) on the panel diagram and on the physical signal box diagram via LEDs. Any recommendations would be a help, or if it could also be routed back through the MEGA as well that would help. The plan is to create a duel position driver station via computer. One in the fiddle yard, likely to be a Raspberry Pi away from the signal box for 2 man operation, and a computer within the signal box, that's normally used for train running information (TRUST etc) that could be used when I'm running alone. 

I hope what I've written makes some degree of sense, that it's in the right place, and someone has a bleeding clue what I'm waffling on about. 

Dave

• Like 1