DCC newbie, powering kato points and Dapol signals

davebem

DCC newbie here!  Ive built a large n gauge BR blue 1980s era layout using Kato unitrack and Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller, so far it all runs smoothly.  The Kato Unitrack has the points/turnout motors built in, usefully it also has jumpers underneath to decide if the frog is powered and to set power routing.  However it is designed to work with the kato switches/powerpack that I dont really want.   I also have some Dapol powered semaphore signals rescued from an old DC layout that previously were switched manually using peco switches.

For the point switching and signals, Id like to operate these via dcc track bus from the dynamis controller, but Im not sure what I need to buy to be able to do that.

The signals I can see a simple solution is to use the traintech signal controller, but here is the twist...Id like to throw some of the points and set corresponding routing signal at the same time, is this even possible?  I also dont really want complicated wiring going everywhere and using another power supply.  Is there something on the market that will do all this simply, any recommendations?

From a bit of googling the kato points need 12v DC 0.5amp pulse to operate, the Dapol signals need (constant) 12v DC.

yes, possible, though the Dynamis limits some of the options. 

As far as I can see, the Dynamis doesn't have "routes" in its available commands.  So, your only option to link turnouts and signals is for both to have the same address.  As the turnout is thrown, the signal on the same address also moves.   Some other systems would allow more flexibility on what throws, and could also allow "conditions" which make signals more sophisticated in which signal moves with which track positons.

The Kato points need a DC pulse,  so not all "pulse" accessory decoders are suitable.  Some are, but not all, so check before buying.  Digitrax make a specific decoder for Kato turnouts, with one decoder next to the turnout (neat for wiring), but a lot of those can get expensive.    Your alternative is a decoder which can throw four, or sometimes eight turnouts from one decoder.  

Nigel

The DCCconcepts ADS-*SX range are entirely suitable for operating Kato motors. (* is 2/4/8 channels)

Fitted with a DCD-SDC adapter on the ADS, converting the 3 wire solenoid output to a 2-wire reversing pulse - for the Kato motor.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Great thank you, so some dcc controllers have ability to set routes, I like the sound of that.  But for now it sounds like the simple way to go is traintech signal controller and the dcc concepts ads-sx(with adapters) for points should all work plug and play and both can be powered from the track bus (for remote locations) from what i can tell.  Theres also the possibilty to try having the points and signal on the same accessory address on my controller (its worth a try right?).

Yes,   though there are other accessory decoders which don't need extra adaptors, are cheaper,  and might be in stock (DCC Concepts say "out of stock").

Eg. Digitrax DS52 which does 2 Kato turnouts is £21 from my usual choice of retailer.    Even the single-turnout Digitrax DS51K1 looks cheaper, though my usual sources say "out of stock" at present. 

You'll find a lot of things are short-stock, with model railways having a bit of a boom under Covid, and manufacturers struggling to operate at the same time.   

17 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Yes,   though there are other accessory decoders which don't need extra adaptors, are cheaper,  and might be in stock (DCC Concepts say "out of stock").

[snip]

You'll find a lot of things are short-stock, with model railways having a bit of a boom under Covid, and manufacturers struggling to operate at the same time.   

More ADS-SX arriving end August/early September! 

(The previous batch was virtually all pre-sold to back orders and the remaining few soon sold out.)

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Edited by DCCconcepts