Hatton 66 coupling issues.

Hi, I have recently purchased one of te Hattons class 66 with the spring loaded self centering couplings. However whenever the loco rounds a bend (almost any on my layout) the coupling seems to drag the following waggon off the track, has anyone had this issue, should I remove the spring mechanism?

What coupling are you using? One of the enduring problems with self centering coupler mountings is that the least suitable coupler to use in it is the tension lock type standard in the UK. This coupler isn't capable of providing any recentering force as the vehicles move off a curve onto straight track and often tangles into the bargain.

The ideal coupler is either a clip in rigid bar or a type of coupler that forms a rigid link between the coupler pockets, of which there are several varieties. The Roco pattern coupler head, sold as Hornby R8220 (and also packaged with their coaches that have such coupler mountings) should be easy to find if you wish to try the effect.

Thank you for the reply, I was using the small REM vouching but I have just changed today to the hunt elite standard coupling with no joy, its just that when the loco rounds a curve the coupling remains pointing outwards dragging the following waggon off the rails. Im thinking that by removing the spring (if possible) the coupling will follow pointing towards the waggons instead of away from them?

1 hour ago, Woodend said:

Thank you for the reply, I was using the small REM vouching but I have just changed today to the hunt elite standard coupling with no joy, its just that when the loco rounds a curve the coupling remains pointing outwards dragging the following waggon off the rails. Im thinking that by removing the spring (if possible) the coupling will follow pointing towards the waggons instead of away from them?

No idea about these couplings' effectiveness in this application, you will need to apply to their maker or retailer. 

As for whether spring removal will do anything for you. In the designs I have seen the spring is there to provide some recentering force, so removal would not move you forward. Check with Hattons.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby super detail diesels are afflicted greatly with the same issue..as 34th says tension locks don't work but I have found that bars and other couplings don't work either...the only thing I have had success with is a loop, not everyone's cup of tea, but its that or nothing I have found...

Why hattons couldn't learn from hornbys mistakes i don't know...the coupling issues are widely known....only Bachmann seems to have used common sense and kept the couplings on bogies...its worked perfectly for over 50 years....why re-invent the wheel...

Its needlessly over complicated models...for very little gain...

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't mention Dapol 68s!!!

The problem seems to be made worse when the wagon/coach also has a self-centering coupling. I have no problem with Hornby Mk2f coaches but Bachmann intermodals are a big problem.

After reading these thread I thought I'd do some experimenting.

Roco couplings - didn't even make a 30" radius turn without derailing.

Hunt couplings for Oxford Mk3 (I had some spare) - Perfect,

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 07:05, pheaton said:

....only Bachmann seems to have used common sense and kept the couplings on bogies...its worked perfectly for over 50 years....why re-invent the wheel...

Why re-invent the wheel?

Because of the detailed bufferbeam pipe fit and features like airdams, strikes me as a good reason. But not by having the coupler - whatever mounting is used - in a location where it will foul these features.

Better to make your own decision and go 'off standard' for OO with a body mounted coupler, as long proven in North American HO. A Kadee correctly located in the bufferbeam is what I have gone for, works well and is still actuated by Kadee uncoupler magnets even though over gauge height. Downside is that it is nearly all DIY, albeit relatively simple to do.

I did mention early in the Hattons 66 development that they might consider offering a body mount fitting for a Kadee in the bufferbeam, to match the available Bachmann wagons which have bufferbeam mounted EZ-mates, Bachmann's Kadee clones. (IMO the best RTR OO wagon models ever offered: have a coupler bearing a good resemblance to the prototype equipment mounted in the right location; what's not to like in that?)

• Informative/Useful 1