Leamington & Warwick MRS Exhibition 6-7 March 2021

LWMRSNews

2021 Exhibition - a statement from the society management board.

Regretfully, we have had to make the decision not to host an exhibition in 2021.

We would normally start to commit funds to the organisation and advertising of the exhibition at this time of year. We are not confident that social distancing rules will be relaxed by next March and due to the age profile of the majority of our visitors we feel there is no guarantee that numbers will recover to pre Covid-19 levels. We are also facing substantial increases in the costs associated with holding our exhibition at Leamington College and we have decided that we can no longer continue to use the venue for our annual exhibition. We are therefore faced with finding a new venue for our event, which will take some time.

We will use the time to fully evaluate how we can best move forward and, hopefully, we will be able to run an exhibition in 2022 at a new venue.

Edited by LWMRSNews
  • Friendly/supportive 10

That's disappointing, obviously, especially given that the Leamington exhibition is one that I usually visit. But I can understand the reasoning, and hopefully making an early decision will give plenty of time to ensure that it's a good show when it returns in 2022.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a sad state of affairs and I'll be interested in seeing whether you can find another cost effective venue in the Leamington area. At least you've given yourselves plenty of time to evaluate the situation in time for a show in '22.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LWMRSNews said:

We are also facing substantial increases in the costs associated with holding our exhibition at Leamington College and we have decided that we can no longer continue to use the venue for our annual exhibition. We are therefore faced with finding a new venue for our event, which will take some time.

At least you appear to have been given the option of staying at the College at an increased cost but I can appreciate that the uncertainty regarding exhibitions and CV19 has put you in an impossible position.

In Derby we had no option - Derby College told us a couple of weeks ago that they were no longer prepared to use The Roundhouse for commercial bookings and in future it would be used more for the benefit of the college and its students. During the week, it is the main student social space and catering area and they have probably decided the work needed to clear the space and put it all back again isn't worth the costs involved. A friend who works at the University of Derby has been told that a large open plan office is being reconfigured into teaching space and so he will be working from home for the foreseeable future. I'm sorry to say that I think other shows in schools and colleges could face cancellations well into next year.