It looked too good to be true - it was

rab

• RMweb Premium

I've been wanting an N gauge class 37 but they all I've seen seemed to be 'outside of my budget'.  One came up recently and seemed reasonable so I bid and won it 

When it arrived I found it was an early diecast Farish model and the body was loose. Although there was no mention of this in the listing, it did include a picture with the body removed, but I assumed this was to show the internals.

I queried it with the seller and turns out he was selling a deceased relative's collection and knew next to nothing about model railway stuff, so assumed it was meant to be like that.

So hey-ho, another one to put down to experience.

Having got it I'd like to find a way of reattaching the body, so:

Can anyone tell me how the body was originally attached.

Any suggestions on the best way to fix it (apart from blu-tack)!

Does the fact that it's diecast mean it could be the dreaded Mazak 

IMG_20200726_180556342.jpg.4ec389af7654efd87626ac99d61e5ad1.jpgIMG_20200726_180633429.jpg.889b2e7fd251af615a36f86fbd452841.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think that's a kit-built body. As far as I know Farish 37s have always had plastic bodies, and you can see the glue along the seams of the body. Would be interested to see the outside of the body.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Farish have never done a "diecast" Class 37, every one has been plastic from the beginning. What you have there is a kit (at a guess possibly Langley or Anbrico) on what appears to be a modified Rivarossi/Atlas chassis). I suspect the model is very old and pre-dates the first Farish 37 which was introduced in about 1983.

I doubt it has ever had any permanent fixings, relying on friction fit alone, and jokes aside Blu-Tac may not be a bad solution.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a pic of the body and the second one shows why I thought it was early Farish, but ive checked the chassis and there's no mention of Farish.IMG_20200802_222000620.jpg.2d18b7667526ed34719742251c99a7d7.jpgIMG_20200802_222432272.jpg.be946a44e3eaed3745af6c562215b5ce.jpg

As far as I know the only Class 37 kit was made by Langley, though from memory they recommended a Life-Like chassis whereas that is the Rivaross/Atlas chassis, so the vertical motor is very like the one in the Peco Jubilee tender drive. The box is 1970s Farish, probably about 1972 to '76ish. For what is is it is quite nicely built and painted.

BR lines has a modern class 37 body shell for sale as a spare part: (no connection other than being a past customer)

https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/graham-farish-by-Bachmann/371-471-class-37-in-drs-blue-running-no-37261.html

If you are happy with the existing chassis, this could be a way of upgrading to a more modern model? I do acknowledge that DRS livery might not have been what you had in mind though!

Cheers

Tom.