This week's old kit acquisition

This week i was in the mood the hunt around for some older kits as i would like to add more diversity to my layout.  What i was able to get my hands on these last 2-3 weeks were...

x2 Coopercraft GWR Dia O5 4-Plank Opens

x1 Ratio NE exNB Empty Cask Wagon

x1 Sutherland Models LNER Fish Van

x1 Slaters Rectangular Tank Wagon

x1 Colin Ashby GWR 20T Mineral Wagon

x1 D&S Models GNR Clerestory Fruit/Milk Van

I've already started working on the D&S Clerestory Fruit/Milk Van, unfortunately the roof ventilators were missing, i will either search online for something i could use or just leave it without them.  The Sutherland Models LNER Fish Van is the same as the Parkside one, only difference is that it has a whitemetal underframe and plastic body whereas the Parkside version is full plastic.  The Ratio kit looks very old and you can tell in the quality of the mouldings.  Looking forward to building.

116651273_2718720091742314_2977692689609054638_n.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, hayfield said:

A nice little stash you have there, I must have bought my Ratio Cask wagon nearly 50 years ago, Coopercraft a nice blast from the past, My favorite would be the Cotswold kit

Wow, its crazy how something manufactured so long ago can just remain untouched for so long.  Even the packaging is in mint condition.  I wonder how many thousands of these were around when they were in production.  Back then no internet to place orders.  Did you buy your cask wagon in shop or through a catalog?

I doubt if the whitemetal kit was in the thousands, I guess a few hundreds. I have bought (and may still have) earlier kits still unbuilt and in boxes. A few wooden coach kits (CCW, Ratio or Kings Cross) also a wooden station building kit, certainly an early K's loco and wagon kits. I guess many have very old items tucked away, including mint boxed items. Railway modelling is full of collectors/hoarders.

One of my latest acquisitions is a still sealed Anbrico Dennis 2 ton platform lorry

As for the Ratio kit, highly likely to have been either Puffers or the Harrow Model shop, though Watford had a couple of model shops, or perhaps Blunt's of Mill Hill (in other words no idea !!)