Simple wiring diagram for time-poor layout assistant?

Hello all, back working on my Dad’s layout again now that shielding is behind us and I can access the garden shed.

He owns two point motors (type TBC but understood to be peco solenoids with three electrical connectors on each motor), similar to this;

https://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/0/0/99?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F2254439604%3Fiid%3D322185995730

He wants them co-acting via a single toggle switch.

The aim is to automate a run-around siding so a coronation class loco can drop coaches and make its way back onto the layout before they’re collected by a loco heading the other way.

Not the best explanation so I’ll try again...

Train on the main enters a siding, turns right over a point, runs all coaches past that point then stops. Loco uncouples, moves over another point. Both points throw together. Loco reverses back past the coaches it was hauling, over the first point and back onto the main. 

Hope that makes sense....?

I’m wondering if there’s a wiring diagram / parts list I can get to make that happen. I rarely get up there so when I do I need to make every minute count. Having a design in mind & materials to hand would really help!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any & all help!

• RMweb Premium

Using a toggle switch is not the best idea. A two-way toggle switch will leave the power on to the point motor and eventually either burn it out or melt it and start a fire.

There are specially made switches with passing contacts or other arrangements. Or push buttons.

For wiring the point motors, there is a common connection on one side -- it may be 2 connectors or just one. From both motors goes to one side of the power supply. On the other side of the point motor, one connector at each end. This goes to the switch or push button which is then connected to the other side of the power supply. You should use the side of he power supply that says AC out or Accessories; not the same pins as go to the track. (Not the end that goes to the wall.)

To control both motors together, tie the second set of wires together (two sets) and one set to each out on the switch. I suggest just twisting them togther to start with until you're sure that you have the right ends joined. Probably the two far ends and the two near ends.

I won't talk about Capacitor Discharge unless you have one.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, really helpful! 

I didn’t realise CDUs were optional - from what I’ve watched / read they seem to be viewed as necessary.

I noticed some on eBay for £8? Would they be a worthwhile investment for reliability’s sake? It’s only these two points at the moment so not large outlay.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

For 2 points a CDU shouldn't be necessary.  And note that one CDU should do both points at the same time.

A CDU will limit current flow if your push buttons stick. (We've had that happen -- I think it was due to over-enthusiastic soldering.)

A CDU takes a bit of time to recharge. There are point switches out there -- TriAng lever frame ones e.g. -- that in one pass electrify the current position then do the reversed position. The CDU discharges the first time then does nothing useful the second.

I think there is a switch where you push the lever against a spring to make contact and then it returns slightly breaking the contact.  

I have two CDUs but only use one on my layout.

• Like 1

Our club has used toggle switches with a centre off position for point switching, and I have done the same on my own layout.  We tend to buy them from Brimal Components, so here is a link to the relevant switch on their website:

https://www.brimal.co.uk/mini-toggle-switch-spdt-on-off-on-momentary.html

We have also used push buttons for point control, but be careful that you get one with a suitable current rating.  We started with 1 amp ones, and they didnt prove very reliable.

They also do a CDU, in either pre-assembled or self assembly.  Details of that are at the bottom of their home page.  I would definitely use a CDU, as I found that the 16V AC output on my old H&M Duette didnt have the necessary current to reliably operate two Peco solenoid points simultaneously.  With a CDU, they work perfectly.

• Like 1

I would use a spring loaded centre off two way toggle which defaults to the centre off position.

If you you the ordinary version then insert a push button between the CDU or ifyou don't have one the power unit so you can't leave the point motor switched on and slowly cooking while you do something else.  Peco do a wiring loom for their motors.

Screenshot (418).png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...