New lighting recommendations for garage layout

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Pete. I worked in lighting for most of my career (as a journalist and administrator, not an engineer) but your post increased my knowledge.

And to Ouroborus, I too like the idea of using this kind of approach to represent the time of day, though I have not tried it. One problem for me is that many of my models were painted years ago under incandescent sources with a colour temperature of 2700K and a continuous spectrum, when that was the norm, so any change may have unexpected effects. A friend also wondered about having background sound effects to go with the time of day, though I have not gone that far.

Of course, look at what happens under daylight as the day passes, the sun goes behind a cloud etc. There is a wonderful pair of photos somewhere taken at the same place of the same prototype paint colours, but one in sun and the other under cloud, and the colours look completely different. So what is "right"?

Then there are the issue of the effect on perceived colour on the size of the sample (ie the need to lighten colours on models. compared with the prototype) and the effects of weathering on paint colours.

No, I am not going to attempt to write a book on the subject though there is scope for one.

What I really wanted to highlight is that there can be unexpected effects when one changes a light source, especially from incandescent to discharge (fluorescent) or LED sources.

Jonathan

Perhaps the topic has evolved away from the original post. I would suggest that the garage / workshop simply needs bright safe lighting. The layout can then have its own bespoke lights, preferably installed before scenic work commences. The alternative, if the layout is to fill the space, and height allows, is to install a translucent suspended ceiling in the style of Pendon. There are one or two layouts ( including a superb 2mm coastal terminus whose name escapes me) that run a 24 hour timetable with matching lighting.