Consisting and sound

Penrhos1920

What’s the current wisdom for fitting sound into consisted locos?  Just fit one with a sound decoder or sound decoders in all of them?  If multiple decoders, should they be all the same project or different projects?

I have an issue with the two Bachmann Europheonix Class 37s I got with factory fitted sound (Loksound selects I think).

When I set them up as a consist to run together I loose the ability to play the sound functions like the horns on the consist address. I have to go into each locos individual address and play the spot sounds from there. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to make the spot sounds play on the consist address? Would be very useful for drivelock and a lot less fiddling. I’m using a Gaugemaster prodigy express.

On 03/08/2020 at 19:51, Richard Croft said:

Personally I put sound in them all, but I’ve known people take the drive shafts out of one and then run one loco as a dummy, this will work for double heading but not top and tailing or there will be no sound at the back.

It’s best to put the same sound in both rather so that the acceleration, speed and drive off delay match, this is why it doesn’t really work to have a none sound decoder in one and a sound decoder in the other

ESU have features in the LokPilot (non-sound) decoder to mimic the delays in a LokSound decoder for precisely that issue of starting delays.   So, its soluble.  

3 hours ago, bart2day said:

I have an issue with the two Bachmann Europheonix Class 37s I got with factory fitted sound (Loksound selects I think).

When I set them up as a consist to run together I loose the ability to play the sound functions like the horns on the consist address. I have to go into each locos individual address and play the spot sounds from there. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to make the spot sounds play on the consist address? Would be very useful for drivelock and a lot less fiddling. I’m using a Gaugemaster prodigy express.

Its in CV's 21 and 22, and the values set in those.   They determine which function keys are played by the consist address, and which by the loco individual addresses.  

- Nigel

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2020 at 19:51, Richard Croft said:

Legomanbiffo does some sound files made especially for pairs where the horns only sound from the leading loco and there is a delayed start up on one (because the driver can’t start both locos together)

Is it possible to get the effect of one loco slipping and its engine running down as the wheelslip detection comes in, at which point the second loco is doing all the work so then slips and its engine then runs down and they both cycle like this until power is reduced at the driver's hand and grip is regained?

Andi

Historically I’ve seen it recommended to have a decoder only in the front loco, remove the drive train from the second loco, and run a pair of wires through to it from the front loco.  I take it this is not recommended anymore?  It seems an easier than trying to match speeds.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1