Hello from a Newbie

Canal Digger

As a Newbie to RM Web, please can I (in a light-hearted manner) query your registration process (a separate topic that I want to ask about will follow directly)? Registration form asked for a model railway manufacturer beginning 'B', so went for Budgie to get rejected, so resorted to Bachmann. Given that Bachmann is Bermuda registered and  Chinese owned company which is more British? Don't worry I'm not normally a trouble maker!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Hi Sarah,

Yes and No. Apart from collecting Diecast Model Trains (hence my knowledge about Budgie, I could have also said Benbros or Britains) and 'conventional' Model Railways, I help out with the restoration of my local canal, the Wilts & Berks Canal, so through the WBCT (Wilts & Berks Canal Trust) I am am part of the WRG.

Before someone asks, I have tucked away in the loft a Britains Canadian 4-8-2 they made for the 1924 British Empire Exhibition. Also a very similar model of the Flying Scotsman, have yet to fully identify the maker of that one.  

20200804_100441.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Welcome to RMweb!   :)

AFAIK the only Budgie railway items are the 0-6-0T and a rather looong container so please excuse us for not counting them as a manufacturer.

Brimtoy is one that comes to mind for the UK, though as tinplate toy trains that might not have counted either.

Bassett-Lowke is the obvious one of course.

They slipped my mind the first time - as an excuse I can only offer Italian wine, Sardinian sun and an interminable Italian (RAI 1964) version of 'Les Misérables' on the TV (the choice of the distaff side of the family I hasten to add...).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

Hi Fred,

Yes have already contacted Charles. I stumbled over his website by chance (Google can take you on a journey sometimes!) while researching another of my finds, Schiebetrix (Sliding Trix, compares to the non-powered Lone Star 000 but [so far as I know so far] less range and popularity, possibly more detail. Go to https://www.altemodellbahnen.de/t29079f164-Schiebetrix.html for more info.

My posting here last night, was an edited 'cut & paste' of my message to Charles.

Having read this site for several months, then yesterday the Google translation of the German Model Forum (link above) and Charles's website, I decided to join RM Web, so here I am.

• Like 2

Hi CD...

The Wilts and Berks, that’s the Thames to Kennet & Avon via Swindon Canal isn’t it?

A long way south of my part of the canal system. :)

It’s amazing the work being done on that long closed canal.

Like the Wey and Arun, it’s not so well known about.

Keep up the good work....brings a whole new meaning to “enjoying a dirty weekend” ! ;)