EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Can anyone understand why there is a £10 price difference on the Class 17's? They all appear to be the same model.

Some are weathered.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Although there is nothing in this release of products to interest me*, it's refreshing to see product release without 2 years of frothing and begging for money.

* I like the underground stock but don't fancy lifting the floorboards to run it.

Floorboards?  You're lucky, I'd have to cut through concrete:help:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Two clarifications

Are the DJM J94s now being produced by EFE (Bachmann) or KMRC and sold via EFE?

Are there any improvements to the Tube Stock body shell - the handrails still seem moulded (which is annoying as late-life '59 stock had no corner handrails)?

Will it be possible to buy a motorised chassis to upgrade existing EFE models? I know Bachmann no longer sell chassis but this would seem like an easy winner given the number of tube sets out there

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Are there any improvements to the Tube Stock body shell - the handrails still seem moulded (which is annoying as late-life '59 stock had no corner handrails)?

'38 stock kept its corner handrails until the end though didn't it?

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have to admit, the lines seemed a little blurred on the reuse of Heljan tooling and who owns what looks to be the ex-DJM tooling?

Roy 

If the tooling has not been paid for 'In Full' then the factory owns it, not the company who spent the customers money on Hollidays & Cars.  So the tooling is there to be used 'IF' a customer can be found, the Clayton has been offered around for some time now.

Charlie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Kernow/EFE Rail commissioned a run of Austerities from the factory which has ownership of the tooling and will be distributed through the EFE rail brand.

• Informative/Useful 6

7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Two clarifications

Will it be possible to buy a motorised chassis to upgrade existing EFE models? I know Bachmann no longer sell chassis but this would seem like an easy winner given the number of tube sets out there

Quite agree. I have five four car sets and three two car sets of the original EFE tube stock: 1938, 1959 & 1962 stock varieties. Motorising chassis would be most useful and economical. I cannot see a large number of people rushing out to pay £350 for a new four car set particularly with those heavy moulded handrails still in place.

The re-issue of the J94/Austerity is interesting. Dapol produced Waggoner as one of its original J94s, however it was a different version with the lip-less chimney for the underfeed stoker and also had a different style of nameplate.

Will have to check if the LMR version has been done before. I think that the price for these is reasonable, especially with the motor/gear upgrade.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Will have to check if the LMR version has been done before. I think that the price for these is reasonable, especially with the motor/gear upgrade.

All the best

Ray

Errol Lonsdale was done: https://www.hattons.co.uk/299260/dj_models_dave_jones_ooj94_099_class_j94_0_6_0st_no_196_errol_lonsdale_in_longmoor_military_railway_livery_/stockdetail.aspx

Roy

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Quite agree. I have five four car sets and three two car sets of the original EFE tube stock: 1938, 1959 & 1962 stock varieties. Motorising chassis would be most useful and economical. I cannot see a large number of people rushing out to pay £350 for a new four car set particularly with those heavy moulded handrails still in place.

We don't know what, if any, modifications have been made to fit the new motorised chassis. There's not much potential saving to be made if you have to buy the chassis and interior. I'd guess that while you might be happy modifying your model, lots wouldn't, and dealing with customers who have broken either the body or new chassis would be quite an overhead. It might make sense if they did direct sales, but producing a large batch of chassis to feed out through the trade probably make it uneconomic.

Given the choice, I suspect that many people will send their unpowered sets to eBay and happily stump up for a RTR model, even with moulded handrails.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Correction - Dapol did Warrington in Army green.

Had a quick trawl, through the internet, though not 100% conclusive. Hornby did around three versions in LMR livery and DJ Models did one. I think 196 might have been done by both, but this new one appears to be 195, so offers another version.

DJM also did Royal Engineer in Army Green and Waggoner is the other army one preserved on the Isle of Wight.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Correction - Dapol did Warrington in Army green.

Had a quick trawl, through the internet, though not 100% conclusive. Hornby did around three versions in LMR livery and DJ Models did one. I think 196 might have been done by both, but this new one appears to be 195, so offers another version.

DJM also did Royal Engineer in Army Green and Waggoner is the other army one preserved on the Isle of Wight.

All the best

Ray

Not quite sure what you think was incorrect in my post?

Roy

Delighted to see the PBA Tiger wagons. I missed out on the pristine ones when Kernow did them and wasn’t happy with the weathered ones as I do my own weathering. Even better is the news that they should be available this year.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

One upside of EFE Rail is that it gives Bachmann extra stuff to market and deliver without taking up capacity in the Kader factory. Good to see the N Class 17 in so many liveries.

An interesting move . I wonder if we will see completely new models from EFE Rail manufactured in factories other than Kader . I would have thought so , as presumably they want to extend the brand . The 1938 stock will be a success . Surely the iconic London Tube train , no matter what you model you may go out and buy it , a bit like Hornbys Rocket .   I get taking over the DJM stuff , totally puzzled at the Hymek though . So Heljan maybe used a factory but didn't own the model and this model is now available to other brands ?    I thought there had been a recent re release of the Heljan Hymek, so would have thought there might be limited uptake on this one . Totally puzzled but fascinated at this latest move.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1