EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

10 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

How is a OO Hymek outside of their mainstream?.

Regards

Nick

Out of Bachmann's certainly IMHO, on the grounds that it isn't a designed by Bachmann built by Kader model.

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Why not use the S stock drive ? It’s from Bachmanns existing tube train ?

The tube stock is far smaller than the S stock and its too small for the S stock mechanism.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A new brand isn't at all what I expected to see announced today. It seems sensible enough, though as others have said, the Hymek seems like the odd model out.

The mention of a new motor and Next18 socket in the Austerity is interesting, as although I remember reports of self-frying blanking plugs in the DJM versions, I wouldn't have said these were the main shortcomings with the chassis. My experience has been that relying on the axle bearings for current collection rather than the more typical wiper pickups made for a hopelessly inconsistently performing loco that couldn't be relied upon to move off from a stand without cutting out, especially under DCC control. I immediately recognised the wheels as being the same as on the DJM version, so I presume the same split chassis layout will be used, and if that's the case I wouldn't be prepared to buy one regardless of price unfortunately. However, if those nicely dished wheels were put on a conventional chassis (wiper pickups, single block of metal, simple geartrain to one axle with the others driven through the coupling rods), I would be very interested indeed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kris said:

This approach strikes me as a way to ensure that a "Hattons issue" does not arise again. It gives shops a chance to create their own models and still work with Bachmann, all round a win win. 

Maybe EFE Rail will bring out an N Gauge LMS Garratt and then all will be well...

• Funny 5

With the introduction of so much 4-rail equipment I'm wondering how many people actually bother to simulate 4-rail track.  It is a subject all of it's own and there have been scale insulators and correct section conductor rail and ramps as well as the Peco insulators and code 60 flat bottom rail available for some time.

I believe quite a lot of Underground rail is still bull head.  Would Peco see a potential market for RTL 4-rail BH track and maybe medium radius turnouts?  I think not, but if it did it would be expensive!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

With the introduction of so much 4-rail equipment I'm wondering how many people actually bother to simulate 4-rail track.  It is a subject all of it's own and there have been scale insulators and correct section conductor rail and ramps as well as the Peco insulators and code 60 flat bottom rail available for some time.

I believe quite a lot of Underground rail is still bull head.  Would Peco see a potential market for RTL 4-rail BH track and maybe medium radius turnouts?  I think not, but if it did it would be expensive!

Peco  do sell the bits to convert 2 rail to 3 or 4. Though not many shops stock them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Rising Standards said:

The mention of a new motor and Next18 socket in the Austerity is interesting, as although I remember reports of self-frying blanking plugs in the DJM versions, I wouldn't have said these were the main shortcomings with the chassis. My experience has been that relying on the axle bearings for current collection rather than the more typical wiper pickups made for a hopelessly inconsistently performing loco that couldn't be relied upon to move off from a stand without cutting out, especially under DCC control. I immediately recognised the wheels as being the same as on the DJM version, so I presume the same split chassis layout will be used, and if that's the case I wouldn't be prepared to buy one regardless of price unfortunately. However, if those nicely dished wheels were put on a conventional chassis (wiper pickups, single block of metal, simple geartrain to one axle with the others driven through the coupling rods), I would be very interested indeed.

It needs a built in stay alive. I converted one of mine to DCC sound and - oh what a pain.... I added weight to try and put the centre over the middle driving wheels. Not an easy model to take apart either.

On my second one, that ran like a dog and died from the burnt plug. It was duly replaced. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Something else that has occured to me-

There have been plenty on RMWeb queueing up to rubbish the DJM WD, but here we have hard evidence that Bachmann think it is basically sound enough to put their weight behind.

On smoking circuit boards.  I have just sent back and got a refund on a new FLEISCHMANN PICCOLO Class 111 electric loco that within fifteen feet of first being placed on the test track started to emit more thick smelly smoke than even my Dapol Class 26 that went up in smoke publicly at Wigan show failed to achieve.   There is no way of knowing who gets a dud component from a subcontractor's subcontractor.

Les

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Something else that has occured to me-

There have been plenty on RMWeb queueing up to rubbish the DJM WD, but here we have hard evidence that Bachmann think it is basically sound enough to put their weight behind.

On smoking circuit boards.  I have just sent back and got a refund on a new FLEISCHMANN PICCOLO Class 111 electric loco that within fifteen feet of first being placed on the test track started to emit more thick smelly smoke than even my Dapol Class 26 that went up in smoke publicly at Wigan show failed to achieve.   There is no way of knowing who gets a dud component from a subcontractor's subcontractor.

Les

I think we need to wait and see what other modifications have been done before drawing any conclusions about their view of original model. I don't think many people criticised the model from a cosmetic standpoint, it was all to do with the mechanism and most specifically the unnecessary and problematic gear-train coupling the wheels.

Regards

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MarkSG said:

But, realistically, how many J94s does a man need? 

I would have bought a fair few more, personally. The fastest-selling Hattons release was the Mountain Ash No8, I understand. The locomotive had a large rebuild at the Dean Forest Railway, and is now resplendent in its correct livery as RENNES, of the Longmoor Military Railway.  Meanwhile, the other Mountain Ash resident, Haulwen, is undergoing restoration over at the Gwili. 

There's nothing quite like an Austerity with a rake of 30-odd 16-tonners on the back. Perhaps Bachmann have done the deal to bump up sales of their wagon?   Having given it some thought, I'm still not sure about the later, Bagnall version of the model. Perhaps some cosmetic wheel overlays will 'do the business'. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe under EFE brand, they may use the class 71 chassis & motor and put a new body and bogie sides as a class 74 ?

And fuel tanks...

And it ran slow, so something different with the motor or gearing.

Almost a whole new model ;)

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Does anybody know how long the NACCO JIA wagons are please? From what little info there is online I think they are 17.24m long IRL and so about 225mm long in OO.

I'm quite interested in these JIA's as well but the weathered ones only and I think they are still in operation today going by images on Flickr unless they are just stored, price is good considering it looks like a complex wagon to manufacture in OO.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

And fuel tanks...

Roy

An arthritic sheep in wolf’s clothing. In competition with a successful Hornby model which didn’t help. Any point in resurrecting this one do you think ? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I'm quite interested in these JIA's as well but the weathered ones only and I think they are still in operation today going by images on Flickr unless they are just stored, price is good considering it looks like a complex wagon to manufacture in OO.

They are still used for bulk china clay to the Potteries, and possibly to Mossend, I believe. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe under EFE brand, they may use the class 71 chassis & motor and put a new body and bogie sides as a class 74 ?

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

And fuel tanks...

Roy

At the moment - judging by what we have seen here - EFE Rail is investing only in having models produced albeit in three known cases with either the addition of a mechanism or some alterations to an earlier one and the completion of tooling for a third.  So there has apparently been not too much really big money investment in tooling .    The UndergrounD train will obviously be a headline grabber as will The Clayton in N gauge and they will  justify the investment, especially the tube stock.   But overall it is clearly Bachmann's aim for EFE Rail to be up & running with models in the shops ready to sell at the earliest opportunity and not to start off with a list of future hopes & ambitions.  I would think that for Bachmann in the UK, at least in the immediate future, having a steady flow of sales revenue from bigger ticket items will be far more important than sinking a couple of hundred grand into new tooling for jam tomorrow. For most of what has been announced selling though existing Bachmann outlets will obviously bring all the models to a far wider range of retail outlets than they ever reached in the past and to a wider range of customers starting with those who have never heard of DJM or Heljan, or even of RMweb (yes, there are some)

What might or might not happen in the future we simply do not know but presumably as far as a Class 74 is concerned some market research took place in the past when Kernow took the pre-orders on behalf of DJM.  So Kernow will at least have an inkling of how big demand is likely to be which would enable EFE Rail to have some information to go on.     And as yet - unless something suitable already for development exists in the ranges they thus far have access to - I have a strong suspicion that wishlisting will be a futile waste of electrons.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The tube stock is far smaller than the S stock and its too small for the S stock mechanism.

You can see the clever S stock motor installation in this thread. The 1938 tube is going to be a real challenge trying to hide a centrally mounted motor with carden shaft to both bogies.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

An arthritic sheep in wolf’s clothing. In competition with a successful Hornby model which didn’t help. Any point in resurrecting this one do you think ? 

The problem with the DJM version was. so I understand, the gearing which was intended to give low speed performance, and not much else.

As for reintroduction I suspect there are probably more than enough Hornby, and some DJM, ones sitting on retailers' shelves around the country so even a rebranded one (with revised gearing) might not be the best commercial idea on offer to EFE Rail.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, classy52 said:

They go to Boulby from Middlesbrough still, FL at present.

Edit, seems these are slightly different to the JIAs modelled

Freightliner Class 66, 66503 "The Railway Magazine" At Carlin How On The Boulby Branch

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, maico said:

You can see the clever S stock motor installation in this thread. The 1938 tube is going to be a real challenge trying to hide a centrally mounted motor with carden shaft to both bogies.

I have some static models of French EMU stock like the EFE tube stock. The plastic seating unit has a shallow moulded 'box' over each bogie to accommodate a motor bogie if you wish to motorise. The box is about 6-8 mm high and barely noticeable.

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

They go to Boulby from Middlesbrough still, FL at present.

Freightliner Class 66, 66503 "The Railway Magazine" At Carlin How On The Boulby Branch

Good enough for me, looks like they've had a scrub as you see can see the blue paint & logo and looking in-between the two weathered versions on offer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Good enough for me, looks like they've had a scrub as you see can see the blue paint & logo and looking in-between the two weathered versions on offer. 

Yeah, given they seem to be in fairly good nick on this line I aren't sure what to go for! Another recent pic....  There are quite a few nice pics searching "boulby class 66 2020" on Flickr.

Freightliner Class 66 (66590) in Middlesbrough, UK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1