EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

15 minutes ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

No, they are not the same wagons.  They are similar ish.

E87001.jpg

To these? Other than the Imerys logo and the handrails at one end I can't tell the difference TBH! Even the printing at the end looks the same other than legal address. Either way I would say closer than "similar ish"

IMG_5510 Cab Ride to Boulby Mine in Class 66

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

No, they are not the same wagons.  They are similar ish.

30 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah, given they seem to be in fairly good nick on this line I aren't sure what to go for! Another recent pic....  There are quite a few nice pics searching "boulby class 66 2020" on Flickr.

Freightliner Class 66 (66590) in Middlesbrough, UK

I think these could be JGA's?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if EFE Rail is Bachmann's response to Oxford Rail?

Not if the prices are anything to go by . 

I think Bachmann U.K. just see opportunity for another income stream , to make up in some way for lack of volume from Kader, where they are competing for production facilities  .  Probably smart to distinguish product from the existing Bachmann Branchline which is made by Kader, so use an existing brand EFE , they have. It’s just another product line for them in the same was as Roden etc . 

Was hoping that not using Kader would mean prices could be lower , but that doesn’t seem to be the case so far . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I would have bought a fair few more, personally. The fastest-selling Hattons release was the Mountain Ash No8, I understand. The locomotive had a large rebuild at the Dean Forest Railway, and is now resplendent in its correct livery as RENNES, of the Longmoor Military Railway.  Meanwhile, the other Mountain Ash resident, Haulwen, is undergoing restoration over at the Gwili. 

There's nothing quite like an Austerity with a rake of 30-odd 16-tonners on the back. Perhaps Bachmann have done the deal to bump up sales of their wagon?   Having given it some thought, I'm still not sure about the later, Bagnall version of the model. Perhaps some cosmetic wheel overlays will 'do the business'. 

Cheers,

Ian.

It was Robert in Bold Colliery livery. Went in a few days. All the others lingered for ages.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/94060/dj_models_dave_jones_j9401_austerity_0_6_0st_robert_in_ncb_bold_colliery_lined_green_limited_edition_of_20/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I think these could be JGA's?

Not unless there is a JGA I am unaware of. These are a lot bigger and have a cylindrical shaped body.

I am pretty sure these will be JIAs, as per the models. Note not the JIA Tigers of the same code but are different altogether (and also included in this release) that these superceded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

An arthritic sheep in wolf’s clothing. In competition with a successful Hornby model which didn’t help. Any point in resurrecting this one do you think ? 

A successful Hornby model up to a point. Very nice on DC but it’s tricky to get a decoder into it and how on earth do we get a speaker in?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not unless there is a JGA I am unaware of. These are a lot bigger and have a cylindrical shaped body.

I am pretty sure these will be JIAs, as per the models. Note not the JIA Tigers of the same code but are different altogether (and also included in this release) that these superceded.

No expert but they look very similar to the shots you provided being hauled by the Freightliner 66's but agree with Not Captain Kernow they're not JIA's...maybe someone will come along and clarify?

19259 Leicester 20.05.20

8 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

With the introduction of so much 4-rail equipment I'm wondering how many people actually bother to simulate 4-rail track.  It is a subject all of it's own and there have been scale insulators and correct section conductor rail and ramps as well as the Peco insulators and code 60 flat bottom rail available for some time.

I believe quite a lot of Underground rail is still bull head.  Would Peco see a potential market for RTL 4-rail BH track and maybe medium radius turnouts?  I think not, but if it did it would be expensive!

5 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Peco  do sell the bits to convert 2 rail to 3 or 4. Though not many shops stock them.

Yes, as I alluded in my post......not too difficult to install, visually effective but somewhat underscale and the ramps have to be fabricated.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, classy52 said:

No expert but they look very similar to the shots you provided being hauled by the Freightliner 66's but agree with Not Captain Kernow they're not JIA's...maybe someone will come along and clarify?

19259 Leicester 20.05.20

Those don't have lids so could be a different code to either! Technically more different than a lack of a logo and some handrails IMO.

These could all be slightly different wagons with different owners that are all fundamentally the same thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Those don't have lids so could be a different code to either! Technically more different than a lack of a logo and some handrails IMO.

These could all be slightly different wagons with different owners that are all fundamentally the same thing.

Ok here we go, a wonderful prototypical rake consisting of a Red DB 66 & 9 JIA's perfect for a OO layout...I'm sold!

In my web hunting also saw an article that DB have the China Clay contract now for the next 2 years...https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2020/07/29/new-contract-renews-db-cargo-uk-support-for-china-clay-industry-in-cornwall/

Please give the person a like :good:

In the interests of this thread Bachmann & EFE will give customers the chance to purchase this very rake, a Bachmann DB Red Class 66 & 9 weathered JIA's!

Edited by classy52
  • Like 5

Just now, classy52 said:

Ok here we go, a wonderful prototypical rake consisting of a Red DB 66 & 9 JIA's perfect for a OO layout...I'm sold!

But the point about the Boulby trains still stands IMO.

https://wagons-library.weebly.com/jia-70-0894.html

https://wagons-library.weebly.com/jga-naco-potash.html

it would seem the wagons used on this route can be called either. Not sure what the difference is, if anything. Could simply be another batch that has been given a new code. Note the JIA page has both the ones like the models and the Boulby ones and the only difference I can see is the logo, address and the handrails, which is good enough for me! That website also demonstrates how 3 letter TOPS codes for wagons don't really tell the full story.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

But the point about the Boulby trains still stands IMO.

https://wagons-library.weebly.com/jia-70-0894.html

https://wagons-library.weebly.com/jga-naco-potash.html

it would seem the wagons used on this route can be called either. Not sure what the difference is, if anything. Could simply be another batch that has been given a new code. Note the JIA page has both the ones like the models and the Boulby ones and the only difference I can see is the logo, address and the handrails, which is good enough for me! That website also demonstrates how 3 letter TOPS codes for wagons don't really tell the full story.

Basically you can stick either a Freightliner or a DB 66 in front of the JIA's if you're modeling the last few years to current day, but yes see your point in regards to the TOPS Codes and as for example the JGA is applied to 2 entirely different looking wagons.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was Robert in Bold Colliery livery. Went in a few days. All the others lingered for ages.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/94060/dj_models_dave_jones_j9401_austerity_0_6_0st_robert_in_ncb_bold_colliery_lined_green_limited_edition_of_20/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Sorry Jason. On this point, I think we'll agree to differ.  Either way, they weren't on sale for very long. 

5 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I think we need to wait and see what other modifications have been done before drawing any conclusions about their view of original model. I don't think many people criticised the model from a cosmetic standpoint, it was all to do with the mechanism and most specifically the unnecessary and problematic gear-train coupling the wheels.

Regards

Roy

My point was that if they had not been sound enough to develop Bachmann wouldn't have touched them with a bargepole.

My stock of nine haven't been any more problematical than locos from other makers.

Les

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Sorry Jason. On this point, I think we'll agree to differ.  Either way, they weren't on sale for very long. 

But the Mountain Ash one was there for ages. Along with the blue one.

They even got discounted as nobody wanted it due to the awful weathering. Don't you remember the complaints about the big blob of orange on the smokebox? Probably still in the thread.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/94065/dj_models_dave_jones_j9406_austerity_0_6_0st_8_in_ncb_mountain_ash_colliery_lined_green_very_heavily_weath/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Gold

The weathering on the Mountain Ash model was nicely done, as it showed up the burnt smokebox rather well. I honestly can't comment on either Robert, or the blue version. Quite simply, I didn't buy it. Burnt smokebox doors are quite a regular sight on the real thing, as you probably know.

If someone thinks the No 8 model is a bit of a lemon, then let me know, and I'll take said 'lemon' off their hands. I've got a ready made candidate for Haulwen No 2..... 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

E87001.jpg

To these? Other than the Imerys logo and the handrails at one end I can't tell the difference TBH! Even the printing at the end looks the same other than legal address. Either way I would say closer than "similar ish"

IMG_5510 Cab Ride to Boulby Mine in Class 66

A Class 59 is similar ish to a Class 66, but you would not really get away with just painting one up as the other.

They may look similar to you, they are different wagons.  They were built by the same builder, three years apart.  The brake equipment on the ends are different, the walkways are different, the hopper cover is different, the opening and closing equipment on the ends are different and the bodyside pipe work is different.  You can of course run what you like if you are not worried about it, but you cannot argue that they are the same wagon, they are not.

Edited by Not Captain Kernow
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have some static models of French EMU stock like the EFE tube stock. The plastic seating unit has a shallow moulded 'box' over each bogie to accommodate a motor bogie if you wish to motorise. The box is about 6-8 mm high and barely noticeable.

On the 1938 tube the seats over the bogie area have their backs againt the window. A big hump in the floor I suppose will be needed...

4 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'm quite interested in these JIA's as well but the weathered ones only and I think they are still in operation today going by images on Flickr unless they are just stored, price is good considering it looks like a complex wagon to manufacture in OO.

Same here I have gone one step further and pre ordered some.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Same here Dave. I had an email from John at Crafty Hobbies with the new range attached in case I wanted anything before he orders. It’s great to get such fantastic personal service and avoid missing out on certain releases. 

These will look nice with an EWS/DB 66 new the front.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

A Class 59 is similar ish to a Class 66, but you would not really get away with just painting one up as the other.

They may look similar to you, they are different wagons.  They were built by the same builder, three years apart.  The brake equipment on the ends are different, the walkways are different, the hopper cover is different, the opening and closing equipment on the ends are different and the bodyside pipe work is different.  You can of course run what you like if you are not worried about it, but you cannot argue that they are the same wagon, they are not.

After your post saying they aren't the same I don't think I said they were the same. I said a bit more than similar-ish, and even based on what you have just told me I still think that applies. Although OTOH your point about a 66 and a 59 is also valid, and I would also say they are bit more than similar-ish but still I wouldn't confuse one for another.

Looking at the links in I shared in this post

Given it would seem there are 3 different wagons here, Imerys JIAs, Boulby JIAs and Boulby JGAs, there will also be 3 lots of differences. I am not trying to be difficult I am genuinely interested in the differences and you seem to know about them. The hopper cover for example looks the same (to me) across the JIAs regardless of if they are Boulby ones or Imerys, but the closing equipment is different.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

Re the (ex-DJ) J94/Austerity - and I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere - does anyone know if they're persisting in packaging it with the foam surround or supplying it in a clear plastic clamshell like pretty much everything else these days ?

I admit I've never managed to mess one up, but I've seen loads of pics of things adrift (usually the rail above the smokebox door, occasionally the smokebox dart), so if they went to the near-universal clamshell it would probably be a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Re the (ex-DJ) J94/Austerity - and I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere - does anyone know if they're persisting in packaging it with the foam surround or supplying it in a clear plastic clamshell like pretty much everything else these days ?

I admit I've never managed to mess one up, but I've seen loads of pics of things adrift (usually the rail above the smokebox door, occasionally the smokebox dart), so if they went to the near-universal clamshell it would probably be a good thing.

Packaging is shown in the video, though I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1