EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Cars 1030 and 2044 are at Mangapps (near Burnham on Crouch)

Pic from 2001 - according to the stock list they're still there but no idea what condition.

rev Tube a 800px.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

Pic from 2001 - according to the stock list they're still there but no idea what condition.

rev Tube a 800px.jpg

Would be nice to see these two united with the what looks to be matching random DM car at epping-ongar.

The Heritage train was after all not an authentic representation.  The red and cream livery looked better on the standard stock as there were larger cream areas on the door pockets which are glazed on later stock.  I'm sure the research was done regarding the maroon doors but the only colour photo I have seen of standard stock in red and cream had red doors.i00005ob.jpg.9688368610d1abcad43037fde938deab.jpgSTATION2.JPG.069d997094b914423f33ad08708542e5.JPG

• Like 6

On 04/08/2020 at 17:14, Kris said:

This approach strikes me as a way to ensure that a "Hattons issue" does not arise again. It gives shops a chance to create their own models and still work with Bachmann, all round a win win. 

Well some think its shewd, but I cant help but think that with delays to products Bachmann had spare capacity for distribution and this fills that gap nicely as products are taking longer to come through. I actually think that its near double standards as it lets Bachmann be judge and jury over deciding who adheres to their terms and conditions, despite them having fallen out with others who made other models, sold spares, etc. but then apparently happy to work with others? Its rather convenient for Bachmann. 

Still if it gets some models through to customers with a wider distribution network then that has to be a good thing for the hobby and sector overall. If thats the case its interesting that companies are choosing these as needing to be seen across that wider distribution. 

Another insight could be high prices for some models owing to the number of companies involved and each needing to get a share of profit involved. 

All interesting to see how more items are added to this range. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

The Starlight Express train was a refreshed 1938 Stock. I believe some of these cars are in the LT Museum set, and one is on the Isle of Wight

https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/5972/1938-tube-stock-starlight-express

A couple of pics of Starlight Express tour

LRT "Starlight Express" railtour Harrow & Wealdstone

LRT "Starlight Express" railtour Kilburn High Road

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The two cars at Mangapps have been cosmetically restored and are now under cover. They were restored for a film set IIRC in the 30's or 40's. I can't recall the film title but no doubt someone will be able to tell me.

27 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

The Heritage train was after all not an authentic representation.  The red and cream livery looked better on the standard stock as there were larger cream areas on the door pockets which are glazed on later stock.  I'm sure the research was done regarding the maroon doors but the only colour photo I have seen of standard stock in red and cream had red doors.i00005ob.jpg.9688368610d1abcad43037fde938deab.jpgSTATION2.JPG.069d997094b914423f33ad08708542e5.JPG

Maroon doors were part of the UndergrounD group livery up until the formation of London Transport in 1933.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoingUnderground said:

You hoping for something like this?

117-1773_IMG.JPG

Er no. I was wondering how much of the motor bogie intrudes into the interior. And whether it then affects (or worse spoils) the open interior seen thru the windows. And for future animated modelling, the doors on an open position.

Andy

• Like 1

I would like to see an underside view of the chassis and bogies together with clearance dimensions from the underside of the axle to rail height. This information is critical for all those people with 4-rail layouts that have the centre return-rail modeled correctly at a higher level than the running rails, as per the prototype.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

Er no. I was wondering how much of the motor bogie intrudes into the interior. And whether it then affects (or worse spoils) the open interior seen thru the windows. And for future animated modelling, the doors on an open position.

Andy

On motorised conversions the box to accommodate the motor bogie is just below the bottom edge of the windows. Steps can be taken to disguise the box such as painting it a dark colour or most effectively adding passengers.

3 minutes ago, 4railsman said:

I would like to see an underside view of the chassis and bogies together with clearance dimensions from the underside of the axle to rail height. This information is critical for all those people with 4-rail layouts that have the centre return-rail modeled correctly at a higher level than the running rails, as per the prototype.

There might have to be compromises with keeping the motor/bogie boxes smaller and clearance. A centrally placed motor and cardan drive would solve both problems.

18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

On the tube stock as produced by EFE the wheels are right up inside the seat boxes. When you sit on those seats your family jewels are only inches away from a sharp spinning wheel flange. :O:scared:

That was true of the real thing. We were given permission to strip the seating

from a 1959 car at Morden depot, take out the seat base over the bogie and

there are the wheels!. We wanted the horse hair but it was full of brake dust

so little was of any use.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

rev Tube a 800px.jpg

Were they the ones used in the darkest hour? If so here's a couple of photos from yesterday:

20200805_144215.jpg.d05a7099bd6aaf803841393591051d60.jpg

20200805_144228.jpg.b88193eac022c0ef82879cfec70462cd.jpg

20200805_144249.jpg.f472f1bed54d75db3a99505a85fb91a6.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

On motorised conversions the box to accommodate the motor bogie is just below the bottom edge of the windows. Steps can be taken to disguise the box such as painting it a dark colour or most effectively adding passengers.

There might have to be compromises with keeping the motor/bogie boxes smaller and clearance. A centrally placed motor and cardan drive would solve both problems.

148797132_gearboxstdcompletefit2-500.jpg.7fb53f874ced2d66e29bc026d290d3ae.jpg

The key height issue for a home made bogie is half the dia. of the worm gear plus the dia of the worm sitting above the axle centre line. I haven't yet figured out how to fit that without cutting a hole in the existing floor.  And then that combination has to swivel for curves.

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The two cars at Mangapps have been cosmetically restored and are now under cover. They were restored for a film set IIRC in the 30's or 40's. I can't recall the film title but no doubt someone will be able to tell me.

Maroon doors were part of the UndergrounD group livery up until the formation of London Transport in 1933.

Interesting about the door color.  My model has LT decals as I had previously seen evidence that LT had not immediately applied the all red livery.  However my doors are all red whereas the photo shows the tops to be roof colour!

• Like 1

Centre Rail is 1.5" above the running rail surface, which is 0.5mm scale. The outer rail is 3" = 1mm scale higher. I've not had problems with Tenshodo SPUDs grounding on the centre rail when using Peco insulators and Code 60 rail. 

Looking at the Head On shot, there would seem to be more than adequate clearance for the centre rail. If not, the judicious use of a file to thin out the underside of the bogie should cure most problems without affecting the structural integrity of the bogie.

The description says that there is one motor per DM driving both bogies, implying some sort of cardan shaft running through the carriage, If it follows the S Stock example, there will be a full width and length raised floor to conceal wiring, decoders and speakers, well below window level, which should be adequate to conceal the cardan shaft from casual observers. I don't expect it to look totally realistic inside the DMs, but as it is said to  include interior illumination and detailed and decorated interiors, it can't be too far off. I suspect that the NDM and Trailer car interiors will look best as they won't have the problem of hiding the motor and cardan shaft.

Bachmann 38 Stock Front.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Talltim said:

I quite like the approach of announcing things when (or just before) they are available. The US manufacturers Tangent and Moloco use this technique and it seems to well for them.

I suspect that those people who aren't able to buy the latest Tangent release because it is already sold out before release won't agree with you...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see EFE continuing the life of the Heljan tooling for the Hymek. It has really stood the test of time, great though it is, I echo the earlier posts that a slight tweaking of the the tooling would be appreciated by us hydraulic fans. Roof fan, no headboard clips, rail level door handles and full fat air horns are all something I'm doing to my Heljan fleet. I also appreciate that economics will dictate this is highly unlikely, and its imminent for release. It will be improbable that anyone will ever release a new tooling Hymek with these amendments so I'll soldier on. I hope though that the headcode characters will return to the quality of the primary Heljan releases.

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the Clayton Class 17 (perhaps a separate thread is in order?) 

When DJM showed off the EP, there were some concerns about a few aspects of the body shape (cab roof possibly?).

Can anyone see if any of these issues have been attended to from the Bachmann press release photos/video?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. I think they should all have their own threads. 

Not particularly interested in looking at pictures of London Underground stuff. About as interesting as buses.

There should be no problem in starting a thread about underground stock and trains. And one for EFE Rail N gauge products.

How interesting LU stuff is depends on individuals. And I guess as to whether they are about as interesting as buses will depend on how interesting you find buses. I'm sure there are many who do like them both. I'm not a great fan of buses although I do find buses more interesting than most steam locos. And I do like the pics and news of the new underground stock. A very welcome development.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5