EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

51 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

It’s just a Heljan loco, in a differently coloured Heljan style box.

it has Heljan printed on the bogieframes

What about the decoration? The "catalogue" pictures seemed to indicate this was to a higher standard? 

Thanks for the pics so far btw! 

Bruce 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought that was Peco packaging for a moment, I had to look twice.

thanks for the pics, two of the J94’s look interesting for me, Waggoner and LMR, I hope down the road they give consideration to the Manchester Ship Canal one.

• Like 1

Cheers for the photos, glad to see some re design on the austerity. I’m wondering what’s next for this brand, probably not much at the next 3 month announcement , they’ll probably be focussing on N gauge. Glad to see a new brand, even if it was a bit confusing. Although I am wondering the limits of this cross brand deal, will we see more kernow products? Other manufacturers than Heljan? More resurrection of DJ design?  Surprised, but welcome, now let’s have a look at those jias, my wallet must be screaming... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are a few Kernow exclusives that could be incorporated, the 4-TC, Class 205 DEMU and the DJM produced 02 spring to mind.

Then there is the 1959/62 TS in EFE's armoury as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There are a few Kernow exclusives that could be incorporated, the 4-TC, Class 205 DEMU and the DJM produced 02 spring to mind.

Then there is the 1959/62 TS in EFE's armoury as well.

The 205 is now a main Bachmann range item, and I suspect the 4-TC will be before long.  I think the rule used to be that comissions come part of the main range after a few years. It was the case with the 205 and Mk1 horsebox. 

I can definitely see the O2 and Gate Stock becoming part of the EFE Rail range in the future. I missed out on the Gate stock first time round then read in a few reviews that the factory had messed with the model in a few areas so hopefully those areas will be fixed as well. 

• Like 2

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't  help thinking that and all this sounds suspiciously like no more than  just a marketing exercise to justify 'enhanced' prices for existing products (hopefully now improved in some cases) simply being sold under new branding. 

Edited by howardpidd
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

On a more positive note,the Hymeks displayed now on Rails website show a distinct improvement on the 4 character display.Long overdue but comes with the ( inevitable) price hike.

Just out of curiosity (no I'm not in the market to buy one) why is there a £30 price increase (based on Rails) for the EFE Hymek compared to the Heljan Hymek?

Is there something more tangible to report on with the EFE Hymek to say you're getting a better product thus you pay more, other than improved 4 character display which to my untrained eye doesn't look any different?

Edited by classy52
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Just out of curiosity (no I'm not in the market to buy one) why is there a £30 price increase (based on Rails) for the EFE Hymek compared to the Heljan Hymek?

Is there something more tangible to report on with the EFE Hymek to say you're getting a better product thus you pay more, other than improved 4 character display which to my untrained eye doesn't look any different?

It’s called “adding another mouth in the food chain”

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, howardpidd said:

I can't  help thinking that and all this sounds suspiciously like no more than  just a marketing exercise to justify 'enhanced' prices

Bizarre; especially when plenty of sound reasons have already been discussed.  Is it always so imperative to look for conspiracy theories these days? 

• Agree 7

19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Bizarre; especially when plenty of sound reasons have already been discussed.  Is it always so imperative to look for conspiracy theories these days? 

No it's healthy scepticism. It's not a conspiracy theory just a reality check highlighting a marketing technique widely employed by manufacturers not just those selling model railways. But please don't  attack people for having the temerity to question the tactics of  a multi national  corporation whose ultimate, and quite legitimate, aim is to make as big a profit as possible. But not all of us have bottomless pockets and I worry that the way prices continue to escalate - as has happened with products in this 'new' range - threatens to price many out of the hobby. I know raising the issue of value for money isn't  exactly welcomed in some quarters but I fear is something we ignore at our peril.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, howardpidd said:

No it's healthy scepticism. It's not a conspiracy theory just a reality check highlighting a marketing technique widely employed by manufacturers not just those selling model railways. But please don't  attack people for having the temerity to question the tactics of  a multi national  corporation whose ultimate, and quite legitimate, aim is to make as big a profit as possible. But not all of us have bottomless pockets and I worry that the way prices continue to escalate - as has happened with products in this 'new' range - threatens to price many out of the hobby. I know raising the issue of value for money isn't  exactly welcomed in some quarters but I fear is something we ignore at our peril.

Well said

• Round of applause 7
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Well said

Not really; it's a boring, worn out RSI on my eardrums. If you think something is more than you want to pay you just have to accept it. No-one is getting fat at the expense of modellers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Think about it...

previously its

chinese factory(cut)...Heljan/Kernow/DJ(cut)...retailer(cut)

now its:

chinese factory (cut)...Heljan/Kernow (cut)... Bachmann (cut)... Retailer (cut)

the extra bit bit of profit for Bachmann has to come from somewhere. That’s where the price increase comes in...

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

It looks like Kernow have learned a lesson from Hattons.

they are sitting on a load of tooling, but if they distribute direct to trade, Bachmann will cut them off at the knees.

what better way to get the products distributed and retain Bachmann trade terms than to get Bachmann to distribute for you?

its obvious when you look at it. (And quite a shrewd move, I might add)

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not really; it's a boring, worn out RSI on my eardrums. If you think something is more than you want to pay you just have to accept it. No-one is getting fat at the expense of modellers.

And of course no alternative views have any legitimacy!

• Agree 5