EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

• Moderators
2 hours ago, howardpidd said:

I'll  just make a final point,

It's the same point. The same nail being hit with the same hammer. It doesn't matter how many times you keep banging it even if you change the words used you are not going to make them any lower in price. 

So please stop banging, you're giving me a headache. 

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

Idle musings based on no information whatsoever......

I wonder what the deal is re the Olivias/Heljan EM1/76 is?

That with pantographs that look like pantographs rather than a 'coat hanger ariel' incorporated into the EFE Rail brand would work for me (yeah I'm aware of other issues).

I'm not going to mention the EM2 though.....

All depends who owns the IP at the moment, does it still rest with Olivias (who still have original merchandise to clear) or with Heljan.

Then there is the small matter as to whether there is demand for more of them - did the notoriety of the shop put off purchasers of the original run or is it simply the market for 76s has run it's course.

The Class 35 seems like a model that would be on a staples list like a 47, a black 5 or a Pannier.  And people will know the models that do continue to sell even though for many modellers they may feel they have enough of them all ready.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Compare this with the operation of the recent 'challenger' businesses in the hobby - Accurascale, Cavalex, Revolution etc, all operating as lean businesses, who having been sell direct organisations are now moving into working with retailers.

So they've added another mouth to feed into the chain as well.

• RMweb Gold

Good point about the Heljan 76/77 and also how about the Heljan western as a competitor to the Dapol version. I was also wondering what other tooling was lying around and could be used. Gate stock has also been mentioned. 
How about motorising some of the efe trams?

Cheers

mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

Good point about the Heljan 76/77 and also how about the Heljan western as a competitor to the Dapol version. I was also wondering what other tooling was lying around and could be used. Gate stock has also been mentioned. 
How about motorising some of the efe trams?

Cheers

mark

EFE only did one British tram, the Leeds Horsfield, albeit, they managed quite a few liveries on it.

From memory, they did some overseas ones as well. On checking they did a Melbourne Australian one in two liveries.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Updated information.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

So they've added another mouth to feed into the chain as well.

Yes, only two rather than the three here and it doesn't increase the retail price from their direct sale price, so presumably Accurascale is willing to give sufficient discount to the retailer so they can match their price. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Anyone put a kernow pba/jia next to an EFE rail one, should be the same? Wondering if there would be any paint finish discrepancies between the two? 

I had the Kernow version of the PBA previously but sold it for crazy money but I would say that the blue line on this run has slightly better definition. 

• Informative/Useful 2

EFE has been around for a week

And already there is speculation and wishlisting of what’s next.

I’m not sure my cabinets can take much more and I haven’t even paid the bill for the first lot yet!   

Im hoping it’s at least six months before more ranges are announced.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Good point, if there's something available does it inspire layouts?

Until relatively recently there did not seem to be a mass market for Metropolitan/LT RTR but here we are with the Bo-Bo, the Pannier, the S Stock and now the 1938 stock.....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I couldn't find any, or is that your point?

They are getting as rare as hens teeth now. They were commissioned by the London Transport Museum but they are now entirely sold out. They were produced by Bachmann so there might be another run but don't hold your breath.

• RMweb Premium

Given that the LT Museum sold a number at reduced prices to clear them I don't think they would want to do a rerun and it depends on the agreement between them and Bachmann, if Bachmann are allowed to do another run after a certain time if they want to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I couldn't find any, or is that your point?

If you search for completed items Bachmann 35-990 you can see they regularly fetch 700 quid plus.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

I hear what you're saying (I know it has been said before) and I do try to retain a realistic view of model pricing. A small-scale manufacturer sourcing some products from China explained to me some years back that in a relatively short time scale wages in China went from £10/month to £10/week to £10/day to £10/hour - probably an over-simplification but we certainly saw the after-effects.

Maybe once... or twice...  *cough*   :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

My point was rare and or for crazy money, think they are cashing in on the boom of popularity, maybe we might see that Heljan London transport loco later? 

The London Transport Museum shop periodically has a clear out. When it does there's some real bargains to be had. Last year they cleared out the Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo at £34 each! They were sold out within an hour. Over the next few weeks quite a few began appearing on E-bay at 3 to 4 times that price. The difference was the S stock was a LT museum exclusive whereas the Met. Bo-Bo was on general sale.