EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

Speaking to the owner of Scoonie Hobbies on Saturday and he was trying to order some more class 17's and there were only 2 versions left in stock at Bachmann, it would seem that sales have been good so hopefully this will see more added to the range in future.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sails said:

A big property like that bang in the middle of Covent Garden can't be cheap

according to the accounts, lease payments are £800k per annum.  For those interested, you can go to companies house and read through the museum’s results.   It’s a pretty big entity in its own right.   I’d say £800k operating lease is good value for a central London site.  Clearly , it’s a help to the area to have several big tourist draws to the area.   

• Agree 2

Quick question re the tube stock.

I bought a 4-car set in red livery with cream around the windows., for the Northern Line. This was the very 1st release many years ago. Since then there have been various other releases. Are they all the same models, in different liveries? Or have different moulds been used?

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Quick question re the tube stock.

I bought a 4-car set in red livery with cream around the windows., for the Northern Line. This was the very 1st release many years ago. Since then there have been various other releases. Are they all the same models, in different liveries? Or have different moulds been used?

Stewart

The trailer and NDM (none driving motor) cars are externally identical across all three types. The driving cars have different ends, the 1938 units and the 59/62 units. The 59/62 units although basically identical have different marker lights. Several changes have been made to the IoW 1938 units over the years principally the sealing of the end emergency doors and the marker lights. All of these changes have been accommodated on the static models produced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

according to the accounts, lease payments are £800k per annum.  For those interested, you can go to companies house and read through the museum’s results.   It’s a pretty big entity in its own right.   I’d say £800k operating lease is good value for a central London site.  Clearly , it’s a help to the area to have several big tourist draws to the area.   

I just looked at the accounts, it looks to be a very healthy museum, with accounts that most preserved lines can only dream of...  and a considerable amount to hand in cash.

Good luck to them, but they ain’t bleeding.

I’d be more concerned about most of the others around the country.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The trailer and NDM (none driving motor) cars are externally identical across all three types. The driving cars have different ends, the 1938 units and the 59/62 units. The 59/62 units although basically identical have different marker lights. Several changes have been made to the IoW 1938 units over the years principally the sealing of the end emergency doors and the marker lights. All of these changes have been accommodated on the static models produced. 

Just to be pedantic, I take it these are physical changes to the moulds rather that printing/paint changes (the latter being something quite common on the bus range)? (And I am talking models here, not the prototype).

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I just looked at the accounts, it looks to be a very healthy museum, with accounts that most preserved lines can only dream of...  and a considerable amount to hand in cash.

Good luck to them, but they ain’t bleeding.

I’d be more concerned about most of the others around the country.

“Most of the others” - I wasn’t aware that there were other London Transport Museums around the country!

Oh, I see, you’re comparing the costs of running a national museum, with its huge collections of unique items (not just railway rolling stock) to which it has a duty of  observation & curation to professional standards and which makes these collections accessible to hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, to a small preserved railway.

They are completely different things.  The LTM, and the NRM, are the core national collections. They cost a lot of money to run because of that. That does not mean that they don’t need support.

And now, back to the topic...

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Toned it down a bit.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RichardT said:

“observation & curation to professional standards and which makes these collections accessible to hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, to a small preserved railway.

They are completely different things. 

Yes, very different.

National museums, are owned and run by the government. It is a well oiled, well heeled machine and good luck to it., providing careers to curators backed by charitable donations from global institutions.

Preserved lines live off a shoe string, With turnover less than the LT museums cash in hand, without government support, providing an equally professional product, in a more practical manner, in locations off the global tourist map. Once they are gone, they are gone, including all that wealth of experience that money cannot buy, and without £381k of benefit dinners*

Everyone makes their own choice where to donate money, deserving charity and needing it are different, certainly at my level of the food chain, looking at item 15 (corporate sponsors) the likes of Deloitte, Microsoft, Fuijitsu & 30 odd others, etc will help them far more than I can.

time to move on.

*item 4 in companies house balance sheet for 2020.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Just to be pedantic, I take it these are physical changes to the moulds rather that printing/paint changes (the latter being something quite common on the bus range)? (And I am talking models here, not the prototype).

Stewart

As the only change is the cab ends its quite possible that they have separate moulds for the two basic versions with modifications made if a slightly different version is required. AFAIK the tube stock models have only had cosmetic changes such as livery without any alterations to the moulds. It is more common for a model to be changed when the existing moulds wear out when the opportunity to upgrade and improve the details is often taken.

• Thanks 1

Hidden in the "Special Interests" part that nobody looks in though.

If Hornby announced a new pannier tank* then I wouldn't expect to find the information in the GWR section. 

Just surprised more than anything.

*Yeah I know there's not much chance of that

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Has EFE/KMRC made any announcement concerning the return of the exLSWR O2?

Thank you

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2021

59 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Has EFE/KMRC made any announcement concerning the return of the exLSWR O2?

Thank you

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2021

No but I think it's highly likely given that some of their other models have already been made part of the EFE range.

I'd put money on them being in the Spring or Summer announcement in some way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting thread and I'm not sure what the topic became, but looking through, unless I missed something there is no real mention of demand.  Japanese N is cheaper than UK, for he most part because the manufacturers can sell more. The converse seem to apply in HO.  So get prices down by increasing he size of the market?

Just a thought.

[IPW]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wasabi said:

Interesting thread and I'm not sure what the topic became, but looking through, unless I missed something there is no real mention of demand.  Japanese N is cheaper than UK, for he most part because the manufacturers can sell more. The converse seem to apply in HO.  So get prices down by increasing he size of the market?

Just a thought.

[IPW]

In Japan N is the most popular scale whereas in most of the world HO is the most popular. Except the UK of course with its almost exclusive 00 scale.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, 4railsman said:

Anyone have any updated information as to when the EFERail tubestock will be in the shops. The Bachmann website has been showing the ETA as "Awaiting" for the last few months?

Current Collectors Club magazine says they identified an area of the mechanism to  which a small improvement could be made which has resulted in a delay with delivery now projected to be the first half of 2021.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
On 25/02/2021 at 18:25, Butler Henderson said:

Current Collectors Club magazine says they identified an area of the mechanism to  which a small improvement could be made which has resulted in a delay with delivery now projected to be the first half of 2021.

Rails (and others) have posted an update from Bachmann on the 1938 stock!
 https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/4026-Bachmann-oo-tube-stock-update

The EFE Rail 1938 Tube Train has been very popular since it's original announcement, Bachmann have provided a update on the models release. Please see below:

We can now advise that production of the EFE Rail Tube Train (E99939) is expected to be completed by late-summer, meaning these highly anticipated models should be arriving in the UK in Q4 2021. As publicised earlier this year, production was delayed in order for us to implement a small improvement in the mechanism, the opportunity for which was identified during final testing. We are pleased to confirm the models have now completed a conclusive round of rigorous testing and we have approved these for production and assembly. Whilst these delays are frustrating for us all, it is important our products meet the high standards our customers and consumers expect, and we thank you for your continued support and understanding.

Please note that this model is close to selling out on pre orders and has already sold out at Bachmann!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - does anyuone know if the soon to be released Tube stock will have bodies that can be changed with the original EFE models - as I would like to model the Aluminium body colour of the Central Line

I don't see why not. If they are hopefully they will put on sale the motorised chassis for those who want to motorise existing models.

• Like 1