EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

9 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I've only just caught up with the video at the beginning.  What's the DMU car below the prototype Deltic in the showcase?  eg at 1m 15sec

Not sure but I think they need to chuck that Polybulk wagon (also a JIA IIRC) on eBay the price they go for!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I've only just caught up with the video at the beginning.  What's the DMU car below the prototype Deltic in the showcase?  eg at 1m 15sec

Looks like the 105 (well half)  to me

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 09:50, MGR Hooper! said:

On second thoughts, the prices are now insane, I don't have the money to shove out for the kind of prices I see. The RRP for some of the models are questionable.

Yep RRP of 150 squids looks pretty horrendous for what looks like quite a small basic steamie...now don't mention prices on here & just buy the damn thing!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, maico said:

On the 1938 tube the seats over the bogie area have their backs againt the window. A big hump in the floor I suppose will be needed...

On the tube stock as produced by EFE the wheels are right up inside the seat boxes. When you sit on those seats your family jewels are only inches away from a sharp spinning wheel flange. :O:scared:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Wait hold the phone!

I see most of the products listed are due Aug-2020 (yes this month) and for me personally the JIA wagons, does this mean they have sat in a UK warehouse somewhere all this time or have been made already and literally coming into port???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Wait hold the phone!

I see most of the products listed are due Aug-2020 (yes this month) and for me personally the JIA wagons, does this mean they have sat in a UK warehouse somewhere all this time or have been made already and literally coming into port???

There was a post on facebook from Kernow MRC saying that the JIA were arriving in the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Wait hold the phone!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hello, 

really like the new JIA wagon run, have 2 from Kernow’s limited edition run so seriously considering some of the weathered ones now to go with them. Initially thought the price seemed a bit high but slowly coming round to it (paid £34.99 ea how ever many years ago). Like the different price breaks for the pristine and light and heavy weathered versions.

with EFE Rail, are these likely to be limited one off runs again or should we expect more re-runs/new running number runs in the future possibly?

Ali

• Like 2

On the subject of price remember Bachmann have to include the retailers mark up in their pricing so our shops can make money and stay open. Bachmann are very supportive of the retailers and give good margins which shops can choose to discount or not. Some of these models in the past were priced as direct sales (such as kernow wagons) so prices did not include this extra margin. 

I spoke to my local shop when Accurascale and Hattons for example offered retail terms and margins were much lower which is why you never get these discounted even by the box shifters, and their prices seem much cheaper by comparison at rrp but if these were made at usual retailer mark up these prices would as expensive or maybe higher.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

On 04/08/2020 at 10:27, 4railsman said:

That's great news about the EFE Tubestock being produced in a motorised version. I just hope they have made the clearances under the axles to allow for the slightly higher centre return rail of the prototype (which on my layout is 1mm above running rail height). 

If not, my only option would be to fit larger wheels to the power bogie and all coaches ~ an unnecessray cost which could be avoided during manufacture.

After this release, I hope that Bachmann consider producing the London Transport 1927/1933 Standard Stock which is a more interesting profile imho.

Well done, Bachmann for taking the EFE brand into useable motorised models.

I started thinking Bachmann would release a motorised version of the EFE '38 Stock when I saw the S Stock. It just looked like an absolute no-brainer once they gor their hands on Gilbow's EFE.

I don't know how well the '38 Stock will sell, as EFE produced 6 different runs, Northern, Bakerloo, Piccadilly, East Lindon (twice) and the preserved LTM 4 car set, not to mention the 3 2 car sets on the IoW, which I would have thought must have come close to saturating the market when Metromodels and Radley Models did offer a motorising service for those who couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves.

The fitting of NEM pockets is a retrograde step as it destroys the look of the front of the Driving motor cars.

EFE did a very good job on the '38 Stock, especially when you put the model and the real thing side by side.

If Bachmann do release another Tube train, my money is on the '59/'62 Stock because they can use the '38 running gear with no changes at all. But again that might be a bit saturated as EFE/Gilbow had 6 different runs of '59/'62 Stock, 3 for the Central, one for the Piccadilly, one for the Northern, all these were in unpainted aluminium finish, and one for the Northern in the current LU corporate Red, White & Blue. The only line that '59/'62 Stock was used on that they didn't "model" was the Bakerloo.

If they do go beyond the two bodyshells created by Gilbow, then my money would be on the '67/72 Stock as that could also use the new running gear with minimal changes. Sticking with using as many common parts as possible, you might get '56 Stock, '60 Stock, and '35 Experimental as they could also use the same running gear as '38 and '59/'62 models.  But Standard Stock, I doubt it, it just seems too niche to me and would need too much new tooling to make it worth their while, I'd have thought that D, followed by A60/62, C, COP, Q and R Stock, would happen first to capitalise on the design concepts in the S Stock running gear were more likely.

But, just watch them prove me wrong.

38 Tube Stock.jpg

Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

Wait hold the phone!

I quite like the approach of announcing things when (or just before) they are available. The US manufacturers Tangent and Moloco use this technique and it seems to well for them. 
i have to say it gets my money as you have to buy them now, and thus you use up your hobby budget that you had planned for announced models from other manufacturers.

Of course this does rely on the manufacturers getting things right without input from knowledgeable modellers, which the two manufacturers I’ve mentioned seem to do. However it doesn’t apply so much in the case of the EFE rail models as they are pre-existing models, although there’s always the right paint to match with the right details.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, GoingUnderground said:

I started thinking Bachmann would release a motorised version of the EFE '38 Stock when I saw the S Stock. It just looked like an absolute no-brainer once they gor their hands on Gilbow's EFE.

I don't know how well the '38 Stock will sell, as EFE produced 6 different runs, Northern, Bakerloo, Piccadilly, East Lindon (twice) and the preserved LTM 4 car set, not to mention the 3 2 car sets on the IoW, which I would have thought must have come close to saturating the market when Metromodels and Radley Models did offer a motorising service for those who couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves.

The fitting of NEM pockets is a retrograde step as it destroys the look of the front of the Driving motor cars.

EFE did a very good job on the '38 Stock, especially when you put the model and the real thing side by side.

If Bachmann do release another Tube train, my money is on the '59/'62 Stock because they can use the '38 running gear with no changes at all. But again that might be a bit saturated as EFE/Gilbow had 6 different runs of '59/'62 Stock, 3 for the Central, one for the Piccadilly, one for the Northern, all these were in unpainted aluminium finish, and one for the Northern in the current LU corporate Red, White & Blue. The only line that '59/'62 Stock was used on that they didn't "model" was the Bakerloo.

One livery that they didn't do was the 'Starlight Express', the '59/62 stock in 1920's livery of red and cream. Had EFE bought that livery out I would be first in the queue to buy one.