EFE Rail launches

AY Mod

Anyone else received an e-mail from TMC advising that their option to fit one sound decoder and one non-sound decoder to the new 1938 tube stock has hit a potential problem, with the non-sound decoder attempting to drive before the sound decoder? The fix is apparently to give up on sound at a saving of £110, or double up on sound at an extra cost of £110, making a total of an eye watering £577.45. It has certainly given me pause for thought.

• Informative/Useful 2

You could always remove the drive mech out of the non sound end, meaning it only needs lighting control; as long as it can still propel itself that is. I'm surprised they haven't provided the same connective couplers used on the class 117 with a single decoder required to be honest, the provision in these seems a rather backwards step. That is of course the other potential route, to through wire the speaker and motor wiring to all run off the one end. Quite a bit of work, and that doesn't help with the lighting unless you retain the second decoder just for this purpose.

On 15/10/2021 at 07:47, smithdom said:

Anyone else received an e-mail from TMC advising that their option to fit one sound decoder and one non-sound decoder to the new 1938 tube stock has hit a potential problem, with the non-sound decoder attempting to drive before the sound decoder? The fix is apparently to give up on sound at a saving of £110, or double up on sound at an extra cost of £110, making a total of an eye watering £577.45. It has certainly given me pause for thought.

Could they not individually number the two decoders, then form them into a consist, and run on that address? The chips should be paired then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

ESU non-sound (i,e, LokPilot) decoders of v4 and v5 have the facility to program in a delay to cater for working with a LokSound decoder in a consist. I'm not sure if Zimo can do this or not.

The upshot is that if ESU decoders are used, one LokSound and one LokPilot, they can be adjusted to work with each other in the same train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/10/2021 at 10:06, Fireline said:

Could they not individually number the two decoders, then form them into a consist, and run on that address? The chips should be paired then.

Hi,

They are paired by consisting in that they will both recognize DCC commands as being for them but the time delay before they respond to a demand to increase speed from speed step zero depends on the individual DCC decoder.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1