Bachmann/EFE 1938 tubestock

d00m

3 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The 1938 Tube Stock book by Piers Connor has a picture of two cabs side by side in tube red and bus red.  There's only a few shades difference.

That's true when the paint was fresh, but the train red tended to weather differently. In model form, the train red appears quite a lot darker than bus red, but in reality it seemed to lighten a bit over time.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 20:20, d00m said:

As they have 'London Transport' and not the White roundel/bullseye they should be in tube red.

Still not sure if the efe models are the correct colour but I plan eventually to get around to weathering mine - that'll cover a multitude!

On my first EFE '38 set, I painted out the cream window pillars using the (edited) Cherry Paints LT Train Red. It was a perfect match. Note that I also painted the bauxite coloured roofs to a sort of tunnel grey.

39704991073_2712ab45ce_k.jpg
P_20190109_101107_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
Corrected paint reference
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, SRman said:

That's true when the paint was fresh, but the train red tended to weather differently. In model form, the train red appears quite a lot darker than bus red, but in reality it seemed to lighten a bit over time.

Totally agree. Bus red seems to go a shade of orange. Tube red has more of a maroon hue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

This is an interesting announcement, just out of interest what size wheels does the prototype have?

2 foot 6 - 2 foot 7 inches approx.  

1:76 models tend to use 10 mm diameter wheels

• Agree 2

I know we will have to wait and see, but re-reading the press release, it states that they are all wheel pickups on the driving motors. It doesn't mention the ndm or trailer so I presume they will have electrical coupling for the lighting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

Not moulded, just sheets.

Thanks Clive I’ve got one myself to make up. The kit will come with glazing as I made a full sheet for it! I understand that there are delays to the glazing due to COVID. Perhaps ask in a week or two and see if it’s arrived. 

attached is the glazing template. 

6E628E47-1100-43E1-B0D4-55219ACD5C65.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Talking of wheels I wonder at the possibility of fitting P4 wheels.  It was relatively easy on my white metal standard stock from Radley/Harrow Model Shop.  Lowmac wheels for the trailer and non-powered DMC bogies.  Tender/bogie wheels for the Tenshodos.  All spoked as per the prototype.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Talking of wheels I wonder at the possibility of fitting P4 wheels.  It was relatively easy on my white metal standard stock from Radley/Harrow Model Shop.  Lowmac wheels for the trailer and non-powered DMC bogies.  Tender/bogie wheels for the Tenshodos.  All spoked as per the prototype.

I have a 4 car unit motorised with a couple of Tenshodo's, the biggest problem is because the bogies are partially within the body sides they can only turn a small ammount and therefore can only go round the shallowest of curves. At least if you set the outside conductor rail the correct scale distance from the running rail you won't have the collector shoe dangling in mid air.

35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a 4 car unit motorised with a couple of Tenshodo's, the biggest problem is because the bogies are partially within the body sides they can only turn a small ammount and therefore can only go round the shallowest of curves. At least if you set the outside conductor rail the correct scale distance from the running rail you won't have the collector shoe dangling in mid air.

Yes, the sides are wafer thin to get as much movement as possible.  They do however go through my points which I believe are B6s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2020 at 01:43, SRman said:

I know that photographs can't provide an impartial impression of colour due to inks, fading, exposure etc but this snap of mine chimes with my recollection of the bus red finish to Bakerloo Line '38 stick in the 1980s. 

IMG_20200819_131015.jpg

• Like 3

Slightly off topic but I have just been given the ok to refresh the 1931 standard stock trailer with new chassis and seats in the same why as the 1926/27 trailer. The body will also be amended to be closer to the prototype. The current version is here and will look very different when I’ve finished with it! 

1E3DB1CF-9FF3-436C-9556-8BEFD55E17E0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is there any way that the material can be moulded thinner around the windows.  I made one of the resin Dreadnought coaches and the window frames were thin enough that they looked fine with flat glazing behind them.  Admittedly I have not built any resin Underground stock, only the white metal and they require individual inserts for each window.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 15/12/2021 at 09:38, letterspider said:

Received this update today from The Model Centre

"We have just heard from Bachmann that due to problems with lorry driver shortages and customs clearance the tube stock will now not arrive until mid January."

So as usual it looks like no tube trains running over Christmas!

Ah, but which January…?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2020 at 06:45, d00m said:

Totally agree. Bus red seems to go a shade of orange. Tube red has more of a maroon hue.

As far as the 1938TS goes, the units that survived long enough to be given EHO [extra-heavy overhaul] for use on the Bakerloo Line were repainted in the lighter 'Bus Red' with white roundels [rather than the gold London Transport fleetname] on their driving cars. 

• Agree 1

Has anyone ordered a set via the London Transport Museum Shop?

THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER PURCHASE TO BE DESPATCHED LATE AUTUMN 2021 Consisting of four cars, our first release represents a Northern line train from the 1960s. The two end cars with cabs both have electric motors. Functions are operated from two DCC “PLuX22” decoders (available separately).

• OO gauge • Interior lighting included. • Coreless motor in both driving cars (A & D) driving both bogies in both cars. • PluX22 DCC decoder sockets in both driving cars (A & D). • Provision for a ‘sugar cube’ speaker to be fitted. • All-wheel pickup on both driving cars (A & D). • Detailed and decorated interiors. • NEM coupling pockets allowing multiple trains to be coupled together. The A & D end driving motor car bodies are 20.8cm long and 3.4cm wide (approximate) The B & C non-motored car bodies are 20.3cm long and 3.4cm wide (approximate)

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/efe-2020-motorised-38-tube-stock-4-car-model

£350, but a 10% discount available when you sign-up for their mailing list.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/efe-2020-motorised-38-tube-stock-4-car-model

Quite nice, shame about the glazing.......

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It's now showing as sold out.

But a 10% discount only on your first order doesn't strike me as a good way to generate repeat customers.

• Agree 1