Model Rail #277 Summer 2020

grahame

The latest Model Rail issue dropped through my letterbox this morning. Here's the cover and contents pages:

DSC00239.JPG.d5d8e51a5cd9c0c1d77a002bca33c4bf.JPG

DSC00238.JPG.d1c64187b07251a224281b768ad1b6ae.JPG

The theme for this issue is modelling water features so it's a very wet one. I've only scanned through and not read it in detail, but the articles about making a muddy field and renovating a damage wagon are of interest . There's no layout feature but plenty of reviews (that were absent last month).

26 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Is the review of the Hornby large prairie worth a read Grahame ?

Unfortunately I'm probably not the best person to answer that. To me a large prairie is a huge open grassland space. I guess it rather depends on ones relationship with the real thing and desire for a model one. However, MR reviews are usually reasonably in depth and thorough. And they give it an overall 91% rating with little of note for the cons.

HTH.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Bit of a strange conclusion in the review of the Rails Terrier - that it is better detailed and cheaper  than the Hornby one! Quoting the RRP as £80.00 which would be nice if true but it is in fact £110.

Beat me to it. It does skew matters somewhat....

Hi all.

We have just got back from a shopping trip to Sainsbury's.

There was a very tempting offer in the magazines section.

Model Rail magazine, in a bag with a copy of Britain's Model Trains.

The Model Rail magazine is in the front, with a banner on the bag saying 2 for the price of one.

Now call me cynical, but I checked the price printed on the Model Rail magazine.

It is £5.99.

Now Model Rail magazine is usually £4.60....and that is the price shewn on the cover of the same "harbour" issue in the first post in this thread, and on the Model Rail website...

So, it is not 2 magazines for price of one Model Rail magazine, as the presentation of Model Rail on the front would indicate.

It seems that Britain's Model Trains is £7.99...

So, what is occurring?

Possibly still a good price but I was looking at it as a free Britain's Model Trains...

Also, I neglected to look if it was the 2020 issue of Britain’s  Model Trains...or an earlier copy?

As soon as I saw the price, I put the package back! 

This offer may well be available at other outlets....

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo

25 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Hi all.

We have just got back from a shopping trip to Sainsbury's.

There was a very tempting offer in the magazines section.

Model Rail magazine, in a bag with a copy of Britain's Model Trains.

The Model Rail magazine is in the front, with a banner on the bag saying 2 for the price of one.

Now call me cynical, but I checked the price printed on the Model Rail magazine.

It is £5.99.

Now Model Rail magazine is usually £4.60....and that is the price shewn on the cover of the same "harbour" issue in the first post in this thread, and on the Model Rail website...

So, it is not 2 magazines for price of one Model Rail magazine, as the presentation of Model Rail on the front would indicate.

It seems that Britain's Model Trains is £7.99...

So, what is occurring?

Possibly still a good price but I was looking at it as a free Britain's Model Trains...

Or you look at it as a £2 discounted Britain's Model Trains and a free copy of Model Rail.

• Like 2

Quite an interesting issue with a number of interesting subjects. Found something strangely appealing/ inspiring about the muddy field with cows... The scenes with modelling water and drainage pipes I also enjoyed, not normally my type of thing, but definitely in this case so well done to the author and photographer (and whoever laid out the page too) for catching my attention.

Class 01 article interesting too. Need to reread it again as I was getting cross eyed over the D2956/ D2965 issue. I am not sure if the proof reader had the same issue but I wouldn't be surprised. All I can say is that thank god it wasn't me. Which was the intended number btw? Nice to see something about the class- never saw any of them and they were almost mythical in status..

Tim, Mike I've just Googled "Rails" and their on screen price for the BR Black 0-6-0 Terrier Locomotive No.32655 By Hornby | Code: R3767 | OO Gauge  is>>>

Buy new

RRP: £89.99 -10% £80.99

(other currencies)

Availability: In stock Price promise

We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.

Free postage

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

The £80.99 Terrier Rails have is Hornbys R3812 SR W10 Cowes, the Dapol ones are £110 DCC ready. Reading the review the Dapol one has finer flanges and tank cladding pieces represented; the Hornby one the better smokebox face, smokebox depth, smokebox saddle depth, buffers and coal rails. Matters of  specific details regarding 32655 are better on the Dapol one, seems both in that version have some livery issues. If you take value for money out of the rating for the two models you get 84% for the Hornby model (May 2019 and June 2019), 94% for the Dapol one but if you add in the now corrected recessed tank top on the Hornby one and ignore the gimmicks to many of the speaker and fire box glow things are probably a lot more equal.

On 09/08/2020 at 09:12, Natalie said:

Quite an interesting issue with a number of interesting subjects. Found something strangely appealing/ inspiring about the muddy field with cows... The scenes with modelling water and drainage pipes I also enjoyed, not normally my type of thing, but definitely in this case so well done to the author and photographer (and whoever laid out the page too) for catching my attention.

Class 01 article interesting too. Need to reread it again as I was getting cross eyed over the D2956/ D2965 issue. I am not sure if the proof reader had the same issue but I wouldn't be surprised. All I can say is that thank god it wasn't me. Which was the intended number btw? Nice to see something about the class- never saw any of them and they were almost mythical in status..

Just noticed that.

It got the spare D2956 number as the original one had been withdrawn. The original D2956 is the preserved one after being sold and working in a scrapyard.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=2956&loco=11506

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=12956&loco=81

Maybe this is a bit clearer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_01

Jason

• Thanks 1