Solvent-based paints in the post

Hello all,

I recently received an order for Tru-Color paint in the post from a UK-based online retailer. It is an acetone-based, flammable acrylic paint. I realised that I don’t need it, so I was considering trying to sell it. However, I looked into it and Royal Mail state that paints like these cannot be sent in the post. I’m slightly confused as the paint originally came from the US. Can anyone shed any light on this?

7 minutes ago, josh_will said:

Hello all,

I recently received an order for Tru-Color paint in the post from a UK-based online retailer. It is an acetone-based, flammable acrylic paint. I realised that I don’t need it, so I was considering trying to sell it. However, I looked into it and Royal Mail state that paints like these cannot be sent in the post. I’m slightly confused as the paint originally came from the US. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi,

Safety/ National security Standards change?.

Regards

Nick

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Your original supplier broke the law for sending it to you via the post, they should have sent it via an approved service such as a courier. 

If you wish to sell and ship it, it is up to you to package and send it appropriately. 

• Like 1

I guess it is not that easy. Small volumes of solvent based paints can be sent by mail in many countries. Royal Mail seems to be an exception with their very strict banning of all paints. I can send  paint from Germany to the UK without any problem and it would be delivered by Royal mail, but the same paint in the same box couldn't be returned to Germany. I have checked the DHL restrictions very carefully. There is no restriction for sending paint to the UK.

The same applies for many continental European countries and at least for the US and China.

Sadly, this means that it is impossible for me in Germany to order any paint in the UK. All suppliers I am aware of don't distinguish between solvent and acrylic paint, so not even acrylic paints can be ordered.

Crazy!

Michael

• Agree 2

Yes, it is a little strange as I'm sure the Post Office restrictions apply to enamel paints too but I'm sure many retailers don't follow these rules at times.

Of interest also is the fact that this paint arrived in a cardboard box, with newspaper wrapped around it to protect it. The PO guidelines state that you must seal the paint jar/tin inside an air-tight container or bag, and this refers only to acrylics because it is only water-based based paint that can be posted.

The seller I bought from seems genuine enough but I have not seen it advertised in the press at all.