Northern services over the S&C

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was just wondering what rolling stock is being used presently by Northern services over the S&C?  Last time I looked, Northern were still using 158’s, possibly strengthened with a 153.

Is that the case still or are Northern now starting to use their new Class 195’s.

• RMweb Gold

Still 158s last time I saw an S&C service recently.

Certainly not 195s which, as far as I’m aware, there are no plans to use on the S&C. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

158s are the diagrammed stock - a pair of them was regular fare for last year, but a 2-car seems to be more normal nowadays.

(I shall try and pay more attention tomorrow)

158+153 were regular performers on the S&C, but the single cars seem to have gravitated elsewhere - now virtually every train is either a 158/153 or 156/153 on the Rochdale-Clitheroe services.

• Like 1

Class 195s aren't really suited for the S&C; think more Class150 level of comfort. Class 170 from the Harrogate line would be better -  a max speed of 60mph would be an issue but going up all the hills would give the engines a clear out!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bomag said:

Class 195s aren't really suited for the S&C; think more Class150 level of comfort. Class 170 from the Harrogate line would be better -  a max speed of 60mph would be an issue but going up all the hills would give the engines a clear out!

Isn't most of the S&C 60 Mph speed limit anyway?

Also I am only seeing 158s making their way to and from the S&C at the moment. Used to be 2 set coupled together but with the ongoing crisis just single units are in use at the moment.

5 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Isn't most of the S&C 60 Mph speed limit anyway?

Also I am only seeing 158s making their way to and from the S&C at the moment. Used to be 2 set coupled together but with the ongoing crisis just single units are in use at the moment.

Sorry, I don't understand your point - while 170s can do 100, as I said they are limited to 60 on the S&C. Given the transmissions settings this is apparently like driving down the motorway in 3rd. Going up the hills will give the engines more of workout than they currently get trundling about on the Harrogate line, which may help with clearing emissions.

The 158 has a different transmission system, the speed where it switches up and down between being a fluid coupling and hydraulic link is (or was when introduced) about 50mph. This means is should be more fuel efficient at S&C speeds.

I am not certain what the transmission is like with the Class 195, perhaps somebody who drives them can comment?

At least one of the S&C diagrams is supposed be a 158 3 car, but they are vulnerable to being used to cover for 195s. The rest of the diagrams are a mixture of 2 and 4 (2+2) car sets, again the double set is vulnerable to one of them being used to cover something else. At the weekend just gone, for example, several units were used on ad hoc services to provide extra capacity on anything going near the seaside.  

I'm not aware of any plans to use 170s or 195s on the S&C yet, both would require traction training for two additional depots (Skipton and Carlisle) which is unlikely to be a priority with 158s available. The 170s have been a lot better since they were put on the Sheffield - Hulls and given a run once in a while.  

Some of the ex-Scotrail 158s were in a truly shocking state when they arrived, one I traveled on last summer looked as though it had been used to carry coal - way beyond anything a carriage cleaner could be expected to deal with. 

• Informative/Useful 1