BR Class 48’s in BR blue

TravisM

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

The end/ solebar treatment here has hints of the so-called 'Crewe-cut' version, as applied to several locos towards the end of their front-line careers, in the nineties.

Any ideas why the Cubans wanted the V12 engine rather than the 12LDA?

I must try and find my missing slide collection. I know that I have a photo of a TOPS data panel purporting to be for a 48 taken on one of the locos on Tinsley depot. In my memory it was blue, but then these days i have enough trouble remembering that today is October.............

It was the only TOPS data panel I ever photographed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, russ p said:

Any ideas why the Cubans wanted the V12 engine rather than the 12LDA?

My guess is that it was cheaper - only 1 crankshaft instead of 2, and no gearing to connect the two crankshafts of the 12LDA to one output shaft.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

I must try and find my missing slide collection. I know that I have a photo of a TOPS data panel purporting to be for a 48 taken on one of the locos on Tinsley depot. In my memory it was blue, but then these days i have enough trouble remembering that today is October.............

It was the only TOPS data panel I ever photographed.

I think you'll find the data panel itself was blue (background) but the loco it was stuck to was green. It was established earlier that there was no such thing as a blue Class 48.

I've found a photo of D1705 in green full yellow with data panel dated 4th June 1969. Even if all five did get the panels, if you only took one photo, might as well make it a rare one!

I've been out walking in the July sunshine today - phew, don't you just love the summer.......:sungum:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

I think you'll find the data panel itself was blue (background) but the loco it was stuck to was green. It was established earlier that there was no such thing as a blue Class 48.

I've found a photo of D1705 in green full yellow with data panel dated 4th June 1969. Even if all five did get the panels, if you only took one photo, might as well make it a rare one!

I've been out walking in the July sunshine today - phew, don't you just love the summer.......:sungum:

20201018_223501.jpg.da16156874dda7206d2289e40ae79adb.jpg.d8b6ec89b19e60429344a86de87e0124.jpg

Here's my 48, blue backed TOPS panels as part of a custom set from Railtec. I modelled 1704 based on a pic from a Strathwood book which I think shows a blue panel. (Pretty sure all TOPS panels were blue back then)

I am tempted to do a blue one.

Cheers

James

• Like 2