Latest Bachmann AL5 - 31-676A Electric Blue E3057

cctransuk

I have today taken delivery of the above model - and have to say that I am somewhat disappointed.

Firstly, the shade of 'Electric Blue' applied to the model is far too dark - very much akin to Rail Blue; and the cab window surrounds are a mid-grey, rather than the correct off-white. From what I have seen of the original release 31-676 E3058, the blue was considerable brighter and matched my recollection of Electric Blue, and the window surrounds where much lighter. Anyone who has the first Electric Blue release, and has ordered the new one, is likely to have issues if they are expecting them to match.

Secondly, the mechanism is noisy, to the point where it sounds like an ancient Ferguson tractor in one direction; (the model is not sound fitted)!

Whilst I had been looking forward to this new AL5 being released, I'm afraid that it will be going back to the retailer.

Disappointing!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've a 31-677 - and it runs very nicely.

It's a bit light, so haulage capacity is not brilliant, but it's a smooth and relatively quiet runner.

Mine has run for several hours in each direction, particularly the principal direction, so this may have aided mine.

I definitely wouldn't say it's 'silent', but it's definitely not in the realms of a Massey Ferguson!

Al.

If I am not happy with the livery colour, mine will be going straight back whence it came.

I know there is a big debate over colours but as a buyer, it is my choice and I respect those who make different choices.

What I struggle with is any manufacturers inability to produce consistency. If folks were happy with the first iteration of a model, why change a subsequent run and leave customers with a 'mis-match'!

44 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

If I am not happy with the livery colour, mine will be going straight back whence it came.

I know there is a big debate over colours but as a buyer, it is my choice and I respect those who make different choices.

What I struggle with is any manufacturers inability to produce consistency. If folks were happy with the first iteration of a model, why change a subsequent run and leave customers with a 'mis-match'!

I hope that a lot more modellers feel as you and I do.

I will await the bargain sell-off of rejected models, and then buy some Electric Blue paint!

John Isherwood.

PS. If any member is in a position to take one, it would be educational to see a photo of the first and latest issues of the Electric Blue AL5 side-by side.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
On 05/08/2020 at 14:07, cctransuk said:

Firstly, the shade of 'Electric Blue' applied to the model is far too dark - very much akin to Rail Blue; and the cab window surrounds are a mid-grey, rather than the correct off-white. From what I have seen of the original release 31-676 E3058, the blue was considerable brighter and matched my recollection of Electric Blue, and the window surrounds where much lighter. Anyone who has the first Electric Blue release, and has ordered the new one, is likely to have issues if they are expecting them to match.

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If any member is in a position to take one, it would be educational to see a photo of the first and latest issues of the Electric Blue AL5 side-by side.

Class 85s - Electric Blue (1).jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 2

41 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Class 85s - Electric Blue (1).jpg

Fair enough - that certainly shows that my recollection of the first batch is in error.

What perhaps mislead me was this :-

image.png.826e91db71652880974c3bdaac4e1d65.png  and this :- image.png.b4a107a00739b99b2264fc2f304cf1f5.png

My clear contemporary recollection of the AL series of AC electric locos is much more akin to :-

E3008_06.jpg.43ed59d440fb1f31df866d24b78d9d53.jpg

and

E3008_04.jpg.337418dbaa77ace3d1c3f949f4ba68fa.jpg

Hornby Dublo, Trix and Tri-ang all seemed, at the time, to interpret the livery as I did / do :-

image.png.0661d6407022c6e593b5f9b11af9a315.png image.png.7bcb20013897894cc9c6735f680213f9.png image.png.3484a8bde5c980d7a00c9e18d5dca48b.png

The Bachmann AL5s may match but, IMHO, they are not Electric Blue.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Hornby Dublo, Trix and Tri-ang all seemed, at the time, to interpret the livery as I did / do

OK, which ones of those match? The bright blue one, the pale blue or the blue with a hint of green?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

OK, which ones of those match? The bright blue one, the pale blue or the blue with a hint of green?

Of the photos that I appended, I would say that the two Bachmann publicity shots: (which are still in current usage by most retailers); and the two prototype photos; show a remarkable similarity. That cannot be said by comparing your photos of the actual Bachmann models with any of the above.

If you remembered :-

image.png.96bf6ceba85a1fa7c3eaeb9e49af83e9.png

ordered on the basis of :-

image.png.a1aa8c05b0c20c298676ab9ad7aa4a78.png

and received :-

image.png.6a56b5eb545f5cb3d8de847060cfa16e.png

I think that you might be a little disappointed - as I was! (I can confirm that your photo is an accurate representation of the model).

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1