RM early 70's diesel depot layout feature?

w124bob

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Regularity said:

May 1977

The stock was described in the May issue, the layout in the 1977 April issue.

Intriguingly, one of the 3 MTK Class 25's is described as 'one model having the (Rovex) motors mounted in the roof on press studs'!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The stock was described in the May issue, the layout in the 1977 April issue.

Intriguingly, one of the 3 MTK Class 25's is described as 'one model having the (Rovex) motors mounted in the roof on press studs'!

Press studs were indeed used to install Rovex (Triang-Hornby) motor bogies in MTK  whitemetal bodies by some modellers in the 1970s, as they provided both a pivot and a quick release mechanism in one! They ideally needed to be of good quality and size, with the two halves preferably soldered into position on the motor unit's top brass boss and in the roof. With quite a lot of weight hanging off them I couldn't bring myself to trust this solution on the Classes 46, 25 & 119 I built back then, and a D600 Warship in 1993, preferring to use the supplied bracket instead. At least that was screwed in!

You mean DS1169 Pete - now this thread has my full attention! That model was built by John Payne, and a photo of it appears in a small softback book 'PSL Model Railway Guide 7 - Modern  Railways' published in 1982 authored by Michael Andress; the 'Modelling Diesel Locomotives' section was compiled by John and modelling colleague Mike Alderton, whom I knew well in the 1970s/80s. Mike was acquainted with Colin Massingham, proprietor of MTK (which meant I got to know him too), and he test-built many of Colin's new loco kits, usually on scratchbuilt chassis.......I think he enjoyed the challenge! Anything which required a livery beyond blue with full yellow ends or needed wasp stripes usually got handed to me!

Mike and John built the 1977 layout on which DS1169 appeared, and also the follow-up depot layout you refer to, West End TMD which featured in the centre pages of  RM May 1987, so exactly 10 years later (spot on!) An intro mention of the previous layout confirms Regularity's and kevinlms's RM issues above but not the first layout's name. I kept a photocopy of the latter spread as virtually every locomotive on display was modified and repainted by Yours Truly, and around half of them still belonged to me at the time, including one of the two Class 06s I scratchbuilt in 1976/7 in Plasticard on rewheeled/regeared Triang 'Nellie' chassis (D2422 sat on that of my first-ever loco - the old blue body is still in my loft!)

Neil

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I remember this layout well, quite an inspirational piece in its day. I copied the idea of filling the tracks in with Polyfilla and sanding it down to rail level to represent concrete aprons on a layout of mine at the time. The shed had been scratch built but used the roof (and maybe other parts as well) from an Airfix kit, the shop IIRC.

Aside from the MTK kits, there was a Deltic ‘butchered’ into a production version from a Kitmaster kit and an 04 from the same source. There was also an 08 but I can’t remember if that was Kitmaster or Hornby Dublo.

I remember seeing a layout by Alderton and Payne at a few shows back in the early 80s. I think it was called the West End and was a continuous run with no fiddle yard, two stations, mpd and a quarry. It always had an interesting selection of diesels which made it stand out at the time.

7 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Aside from the MTK kits, there was a Deltic ‘butchered’ into a production version from a Kitmaster kit and an 04 from the same source. There was also an 08 but I can’t remember if that was Kitmaster or Hornby Dublo.

The Drewry Class 04 was always Airfix, not Kitmaster.

14 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

You mean DS1169 Pete - now this thread has my full attention! That model was built by John Payne, and a photo of it appears in a small softback book 'PSL Model Railway Guide 7 - Modern  Railways' published in 1982 authored by Michael Andress; the 'Modelling Diesel Locomotives' section was compiled by John and modelling colleague Mike Alderton, whom I knew well in the 1970s/80s. 

I should know that number, having built a model of that 48DS. I always wanted one after seeing the original article on building that model in an old RM.

I also have that book somewhere. I was always impressedby their loco models, back in the days when few people modelled diesels properly.

11 hours ago, RANGERS said:

There was also an 08 but I can’t remember if that was Kitmaster or Hornby Dublo.

If it was blue and numbered 3607 it was originally my 'free-with-Shredded Wheat box tops' Kitmaster which I donated to Mike who put a scratchbuilt chassis under it. It also appears in the PSL book.