Noisy Bachmann 66 diagnosis?

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

Bought one of these in the MRD sale and runs very smoothly except for the noise. Before I go down the route of sending it back anyone come across this before and is there a simple fix? A long shot but it is sold out so won't get a replacement :unsure:

Sounds far worse on the video than in reality, if it was that bad in reality it would be straight back. Not sure if its overtightened drive train or dodgy motor.

Having bought 5 locos during lockdown 2 have been defective including this one. Also had a Hornby Black 5 that was botched in the factory and wouldn't run properly. Not a good proportion of duff locos.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. Change of plan, dismantle it.

Seemed to be coming from one more than the other, disconnected that prop, no difference.

Removed motor and flywheel unit and ran it, and noise and low level vibration was coming from that, especially at low speed. At high speed motor was noisy and not running perfectly, but no noticeable vibration. So problem seemed to be here.

As I was turning the motor I noticed a brown blob sitting on the copper coils. Looks like melted chocolate had dropped onto motor, as marked below. Where arrow is should be shiny copper:

1515671721_IMGP0618(2).jpg.32827380d0ddceaebee3f370214e0b0a.jpg

So unless this is some balancing blob added to motors (??) it appears that at some point this hard brown stuff may be the cause by the motor out of balance.

Edited by ruggedpeak
Update

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks, really useful info. Pleased to report this has gone back for a repair.

I managed to remove the "blob" by carefully scraping at it through the gap in the motor casing. This stopped the vibration element of the noise (if that makes sense!), however it had no effect on the noise itself which was not only excessive but there was a faint stalling as it went along so I suspect the motor was going to die at some point. Ironically the noise wasn't entirely dissimilar to that of a 66 drifting towards a signal check when I used to be waiting at the GE platforms at Stratford and a container train came through, however this wasn't a sound model so prefer it quiet!

Edited by ruggedpeak